Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

DANA 44 Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ED70K5, Jun 16, 2000.

1. ED70K5

ED70K5 1/2 ton status

I know this is a stupid question ,but here it goes. I decide to change my Dana 44 gear oil myself this time , cause I always had a shop do it before. Bought new gasket, 90 w oil and started this morning. How do I fill it back up?? I took of the plug bolt that is of-center on the front of the diff cover. Do I fill it through there?? How do I keep it from flowing out when the oil gets past the middle section?? Please excuse my stupid question!

Blazin' in TEXAS!

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

After the seal has a bit of time to dry up fill the diff thru that hole you mentioned when the oil starts to spill out the hole your diff is full and now screw in the plug and yr done!
    PS there are now dumb questions here we were ALL onece in your shoes!! STick around here for a while and youll learn all you need to know.
    Have a GREAT weekend

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

3. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

That is the correct location to fill it. Just fill it until it comes out of the hole then install the filler bolt.

Shawn
    87 K5

4. ED70K5

ED70K5 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys, for your help. Sure does feel good doing it myself, instead of paying somebody to do it!!! I did my first official add on to my project yesterday.........added a lockable GAS cap! LOL My girlfriend couldn't figure out why I was so happy with a gas cap!! LOL I got the 4x4 FEVER really bad this time!

Blazin' in TEXAS!

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

6. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Hey Ed I was in the same boat, about a month or tow ago I replaced my gasket and oil and had the same question, I asked this guys and they help this guys are great, any questions you have they can all be answered here, there is no stupid question, I'm sure alot of guys dont know how to do this and they read the posts and they learn, but sometimes they're affraid to ask cause they think that the question is stupid anyway good luck buddy.

check out my new site, thanks Steve!
    http://chaka73.coloradok5.com

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

8. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

Agreed, no stupid questions here. These people are great! Now if only I could get that plug off of the front diff.. Damn thing is stuck! Whoever messed with it crossthreaded it or something. It's stuck in there good, almost seems welded? Looks like it's time for a new cover eh?

BTW, how sturdy is the stock cover. Gonna go fetch a breaker bar and have another go at it. Should I try and be "gentle" if there is such a thing when working on a K5. hehe.

-JoSH
    crazeebush@aol.com
    http://josh.coloradok5.com