Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 44 question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bigmeats, Jan 6, 2001.

1. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

According to the specs section i am supose to have a Dana 44 front (1975 Blazer). How do i confirm this? Is it stamped some place so i can check?
    I notice that there a some still a lot of people offroading and still using 1/2 ton set up, Are these people happy with their set up or are they in the same boat as me ,LOW FUNDS!. I use my blazer as a daily driver, to plow snow, and am planning to do some off roading with it. Is the danna 44 gonna hold up to these tasks or should i be looking to upgrade. I have thought about the ORD crome molly up grade if things were to go south. I also plan to add more horsepower when the money tree starts to grow in the back yard. (Still have some magic seeds for sale if any on is interested!)[​IMG] Any advise or comments would be great!!!!!
    thanks

Bigmeats

Carl...75 Blazer...Manhattan IL
    <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by bigmeats on 01/06/01 10:08 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

Ok, figured out the rear end ID part. What about the rest

Bigmeats

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Does your front look like this?
    [​IMG]

Or like this?
    [​IMG]

The top is a 44 the lower is a 10 bolt.

I have 35's and run a Dana 44, all I have broken is an outer u-joint. And it was old.[​IMG] I wheel fairly regularly and am planning on going to 37's soon (I hope....send seeds [​IMG]) I personally cannot afford a Dana 60, but I can afford to change the occasional u-joint [​IMG]
    I think the Dana 44 is a decent front diff that is capable of handling some abuse and larger tires, but the axles from ORD would be a great upgrade. I'm considering them myself.

Rene

[​IMG]

4. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

Thanks!!! SEEDS on the way[​IMG]

Bigmeats

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Cool I want some seeds too[​IMG]
    Hey I think the D44 is a tuff axel, now I know the D60 is way tuffer but for a rig with small block and right around a 35" tire + or - a couple inches the D44 can do the job well! I plan on making a top mounted truss, Moly shafts with a Dana PowerLock on mine! Yes I will still carry Ujoints but that should be the sucide part if It needs to break! Oh ya gonna get me one of them tierod RockBars too.
    .02c

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com>http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com</A>

6. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

When I had my Dana 44 I broke:

stub shafts
    short shafts
    long shafts
    bearings
    spindles
    spider gears
    hubs
    and more axle joints than I can count

The ring and pinion went out about 6 months after I sold it.

At the time I had 35's. I replaced the blown spiders with a (ch)EZ-Locker. The motor is a bone stock 350 TBI. I was constatly breaking parts and always nervous about using the throttle. I do a lot of rock crawling, but don't wheel with a very heavy right foot. I love the 60 I have now. No problems, even with the 39.5 TSLs. Gotta go.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), Dana 60/14 bolt, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

7. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Damn PC you are hard on parts. I have a 44 and run it with 35's and a limited slip. I have broken two long side axles and one U-joint on the short axle. I wheel in the rocks alot, but I take the idle approach with gearing at obsticles. I plan on keeping my 44 unless it becomes a problem in the future. Around here axle shafts are pretty cheap and dana 60's are not. So I would give the 44 a chance before deciding to give it up

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

8. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I'm generally not that hard on the gas, part of my problem may be that I run 4.56 gears, and the 700R4 and 208 are geared lower than some of the other units. I ran the 44 for a long time until I finally found a 60 I could afford. Total cost including purchase, rebuilding the axle, and the Detroit was around $1500. 44 shafts go for around $25-30, and the joints are 20 (they're $50 for the 60, but I have yet to blow one). The 60 also allowed me to go to bigger tires, which I was afraid to do with the 44.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), Dana 60/14 bolt, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd