Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 44 rebuild info/help needed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 80blackgmc, Nov 21, 2004.

1. 80blackgmc

80blackgmc Registered Member

Hey guys, well since I can't find a Dana 60 I need to rebuild my Dana 44. So far I got Motive 4.56 gears, bearing kit, axel seals, new wheel u-joints and new Warn Hubs. I am still using the stock used axels, and the long drivers side axels is what I have broken in the past. Does anyone make good aftermarket axels, or should I just rebuild it using stock Dana 44 parts and wait until I find a Dana 60?

The truck is an '80 GMC with a sm465, 4.56 gears, 35" tires, 355 inch stock motor, 205 transfer case, 14 bolt in the rear.

Anyone have any links on what is all required to fit a dodge Dana60 into this truck? Thanks guys.

2. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Petersons 4 wheel and off-road magazine had an article in june about the very same topic called the big gun 44-35 put a search on google and check it out. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

3. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I am running chrom-molys and a ctm on the long side and an ox u joint on the short side w/ 35's. I feel a little more confident in my drivetrain. I am still pretty easy on it though.
    Here is a good read on the subject Click here

IMO if you aren't going bigger than 35's you shouldn't get a D60. Unless of course you have the dough, then by all means go for it.