Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dana 44 spline count and gearset out of a dodge

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by chulisohombre, Jun 23, 2003.

1. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

how many splines do our front axle shaft have?are all dana 44 axleshafts the same for blazers?also i found a cheap dana 44 gearset out of a dodge.will this work for our trucks?is the spline count the same for their sidegears?

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Chevy D44's are 30spl. The 1st gen axle shafts have 260 u-joints and the 73- ones have 297 u-uoints.

I think the dodge gears will work and even the diff. Just make sure it is 30spl first.

3. jasonkh2tg

jasonkh2tg 1/2 ton status

good question...it's not just that easy to swap shafts...the dana 44 on first gen's had a 2.3/4" tube while the 73 and on had a 3"...the shafts from a 73 on will fit but you must swap spindals so the diffrent seal types on the rear of the spindal will work...the first gen's had a pressed seal in the spindal and a bronze thurst washer..the 73 on have a rubber seal that fits on the axle shaft...So if you intend on installing diffrent axle shafts make sure you use the same spindals and seal and thrust washers...the outer stub shaft has a 19 spline count both on first gen's and 73 and on also dodge has the same...the inner stubs have 30...

axle parsts for first gen's are very hard to get so one of the easy way to upgrade is to install 73 on shafts with spindal and all new seal and thrust washer for 73 on...also the 73 use larger u-joints and have a thicker shaft...I also think moser enginering make very strong shafts for 73 on but Im sure there expensive...

also the first gen inner axle shaft seal has a seal and seperate guide tube....73 on have a seal and combined guide tube which will work on first gen's...

also the tie rod for a first gen is a tube with threaded tie rod ends...while the 73 on is a solid and much stronger and will work fine on first gens... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

OHHH I almost forgot were talking open knucle 3 bolt steering arm not old drum brake 44's....

as far as your dodge question...I can't say with 100% accuracy but I don't see why not if you swap every thing including the spindals and seals...worst case you have to swap knuckles, but then will the steering drag link fit for the correct steering geometery...Just some things to think about before you go slap shafts in from a diffrent 44 cuz they ain't all the same...

4. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

thanx foir the replys guys.i put this in the garage but for some reason nobody wanted to answer my question.i still have to upgrade to the newer style shafts.i think on one side it has been done but im not totally sure.it has 2 different style seals so i think one has been.i have already done a 3/4 ton conversion on the front so it has all the new spindles and hubs.i was just interested in the carrier and the gears.i bought the gear set and case and i talked to the guy that does the gear changes and he said they are 30 spline side gears.it comes our a of the front of a dodge military axle.some were not used when he bought the surplus axles and those are the ones he sells.like i said thanx again.

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Should be the same thing. Just for the record... I took a D44 gearset out of a '71 Dodge 3/4-ton and installed it in a 74 (Early) Bronco.

The other variations I have come across are a coarse-spline pinion (mid 60's & older). Fits newer housings just fine. Main problem is finding a matching yoke - that uses a decent u-joint size.

66-96 F100/F150 and 78-96 F250/Bronco are reverse-spiral (high-pinion) gearsets... not usable in conventional D44 housings.

I have yet to verify, but the 94-up Dodge Ram and aluminum ZJ D44 may be non-standard. (Anyone know for sure?)

30-spline axle shafts are most common, but doesn't affect the fit of the gearset. 19-spline shafts were used in some Scouts and Jaguar (IRS).

6. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

Hay I was going to do the same thing I have a 3/4 T doge and was goin to use the rear D60 in my blazer and all the D44 front end parts on my D44 chevy and was wondering will this work can I use the Doge D44 parts and only have to change from the knuckles out like if I was using chevy parts. From what I have read here it looks like the gears will work just want to make sure the rest will. You wouldnt beleve the break callipers the doge has they have to be twice as big as the 1/2 calipers so I should stop a lot better with them. I was going to use a D60 up front but cant find one so Im going to keep the 44. I found my week link this last week the 203 transfer case broke.
    Earl

7. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    good question...it's not just that easy to swap shafts...the dana 44 on first gen's had a 2.3/4" tube while the 73 and on had a 3"...the shafts from a 73 on will fit but you must swap spindals so the diffrent seal types on the rear of the spindal will work...the first gen's had a pressed seal in the spindal and a bronze thurst washer..the 73 on have a rubber seal that fits on the axle shaft...So if you intend on installing diffrent axle shafts make sure you use the same spindals and seal and thrust washers...the outer stub shaft has a 19 spline count both on first gen's and 73 and on also dodge has the same...the inner stubs have 30...

axle parsts for first gen's are very hard to get so one of the easy way to upgrade is to install 73 on shafts with spindal and all new seal and thrust washer for 73 on...also the 73 use larger u-joints and have a thicker shaft...I also think moser enginering make very strong shafts for 73 on but Im sure there expensive...

also the first gen inner axle shaft seal has a seal and seperate guide tube....73 on have a seal and combined guide tube which will work on first gen's...

also the tie rod for a first gen is a tube with threaded tie rod ends...while the 73 on is a solid and much stronger and will work fine on first gens... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

OHHH I almost forgot were talking open knucle 3 bolt steering arm not old drum brake 44's....

as far as your dodge question...I can't say with 100% accuracy but I don't see why not if you swap every thing including the spindals and seals...worst case you have to swap knuckles, but then will the steering drag link fit for the correct steering geometery...Just some things to think about before you go slap shafts in from a diffrent 44 cuz they ain't all the same...

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good info. Here is a thread that has some good pics of the differences between a '71 D44 and a '77 D44. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif