Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 44 Swapibility?????????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Sep 27, 2003.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

So let's say someone wanted to turn a straight axle D44 into a 5 lug unit, would a person be able to use parts off of a D44 TTB unit?

And last, but not least, what parts are needed? Everything from the spindles on out?

Thank you.......

DISCLAIMER: Don't ask why cause I ain't telling, just wanting to expand my knowledge..............

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Honestly, I don't KNOW For a fact, I I'm pretty sure that the knucles are similar enough that it could be done. I'd definitely give it a try. You'd certainly need the backing plates and hub/rotor assembly. You might need spindles too if the wheel bearings are different sizes. I have had one apart but I just can't remember one way or another.

My friend's '79 F150 is 5 lug though, 5 on 5.5". You could always use parts from something like that to make it 5 lug too.

3. o2bjimmy

o2bjimmy 1/2 ton status

But why /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif............ /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    But why /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif............ /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's all a part of "Bubba's BigA** Budget Buildup Blockbuster." /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I'll leave ya with a hint. I am converting the rear end to 5 lug. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

5 lug Chevy or 5 lug ford? Chevy 2wds are 5 on 5", Ford 1/2 tons are 5 on 5.5". Have you overlooked this, or are you planning on running a 9" in the rear or something?

6. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

why not just put a TTB in the front end and call it done, 15" of stock travel isnt something to scoff at and much more is available with coilovers and longer radius arms... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    5 lug Chevy or 5 lug ford? Chevy 2wds are 5 on 5", Ford 1/2 tons are 5 on 5.5". Have you overlooked this, or are you planning on running a 9" in the rear or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, I would have to say that with the 9" sitting in the bed of my truck would be the give away. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    why not just put a TTB in the front end and call it done, 15" of stock travel isnt something to scoff at and much more is available with coilovers and longer radius arms...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that would be cool and I could have a great deal on the TTB, but with that swap comes the pains ($$$$$) of custom fabrication and I would have to get a transfer case since Ford is driver's side drop and I already have my transfer case of the future and it's for passenger side drop.

8. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I have sold early hubs,spindles, and backing plates to ford guy to put disc's on ther old drum bronco's. The 73-75 1/2ton axels use a different sized wheel bearing. unless you have early spindles, you would need them along with the ford rotors. your locking hubs would be the same.

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    I have sold early hubs,spindles, and backing plates to ford guy to put disc's on ther old drum bronco's. The 73-75 1/2ton axels use a different sized wheel bearing. unless you have early spindles, you would need them along with the ford rotors. your locking hubs would be the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

Early Broncos didn't have TTB..........

10. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Why not get the shafts redrilled for 6 on 5.5?

11. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    Why not get the shafts redrilled for 6 on 5.5?

[/ QUOTE ]

That would probably be the easiest, but down the road I'm gonna FF this 9" and I"m gonna go the high buck route instead of the low buck route like I was going to do and go 6 lug, and I think the best reason is because I want to mindfawk people with a 5-lug 4x4 Chevy. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

BRB, you going truck or blazer on this buildup???

13. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I think the best reason is because I want to mindfawk people with a 5-lug 4x4 Chevy.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Try and see if you can get the front rotors and hubs redrilled.

14. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    BRB, you going truck or blazer on this buildup???

[/ QUOTE ]

The K5.

15. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I know that, But my point was the hubs, bearings and other parts from a bronco d44 will fit a GM d44. If they are the early spindles.

16. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

As long as I understand you are going the 5 on 5.5" pattern route, I would only suggest one thing to look for: '78 or '79 F150 4x4 knuckles, caliper mounts, spindles and bearing hubs/rotors.

Getting this stuff will make the transformation much easier. Ford used 2 different spindles in which the year split was around '76. The newer spindles are held to the knuckles via 5 studs/nuts where the older onle were 6 studs/nuts like the GM axles use. Older axles had drum brakes on the fronts and in '76 they were converted to disc brakes. The bearing sizes are different much like the 1st and 2nd design GM axles.

Another tip I've heard but never seen nor done would be to get some '78 or '79 F150 4x4 bearing hubs/rotors and slap them onto your current GM axle, BUT..., you would need to find out if the 1st or 2nd design spindle is needed to make the Ford bearing hub fit. This probably sounds easiest to do since you won't have to mess with the knuckles. You can also reuse the GM backing plates and calipers, too.

PM me if this still sounds confusing. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif