Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dana 44 to 10 bolt spring plate?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Fry, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

I need to know if the spring plate a u-bolts are the same for the 10 bolt as the dana 44?
    Thanks

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

They should be /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. MTBLAZER89

They should be /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

As long as the D44 isn't an early one with 2.75" axle tubes instead of the later D44/10 bolt 3" axle tubes, they are interchangeable. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty sure that my front axle is the stock 75.
    Thanks for the help guys I really appreciate it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Beast if you were closer I'd buy you a few beers for all the help you've given me on my 3/4 ton swap.

6. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

another question, the axle I bought the guy couldn't find one of the axles so he through in another axle but it is a 1/2 ton, am i right in thinking that the 1/2 ton and 3/4 axles are the same? Also I have 4.10 gears from a 85 diff and the 3/4 ton diff I have is a 81 there shouldn't be a problem swaping them in correct?

7. MTBLAZER89

Yeah I believe the shafts are the same just different outers. I also believe the gears are the same. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Only thing different is hub/rotor assembly and brake backing plates.

9. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Beast if you were closer I'd buy you a few beers for all the help you've given me on my 3/4 ton swap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, don't worry about it, my pleasure! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    another question, the axle I bought the guy couldn't find one of the axles so he through in another axle but it is a 1/2 ton, am i right in thinking that the 1/2 ton and 3/4 axles are the same? Also I have 4.10 gears from a 85 diff and the 3/4 ton diff I have is a 81 there shouldn't be a problem swaping them in correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

The axle shafts are the same between 1/2 & 3/4 ton axles, as mentioned above. But make sure both shafts use the same u-joint. The pre-'73 axles used a 260x u-joint whereas the '73-up used the 297x u-joint. Also, look at shaft diameter. Here is a thread I made showing some differences that I found between early and late D44's. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

yeah both of the 10bolt shafts look the same side by side, I just want to make sure everythings going to work. I remember reading that some gears if its numerically lower of a gear it won't fit in some numerically higher case for some reason. I think it should go though, the 3/4 tons all only came with certain gears so it should all be the same case.

11. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Since you are talking 10 bolt....Make sure the spline count is the same on the inner end of the shafts. Early 10 bolts had 28 spline and 89-91 (I think) had 30 splines. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

thanks, both diffs & parts I picked up, the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton are from 81-85. Now i just gotta figure out how it goes together /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif