Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 44 to 10 bolt

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DwarF, Mar 31, 2003.

1. DwarF

DwarF 1/2 ton status

It might seem like a strange query, but I just got done reading the article about swapping the spindle's rotors, etc for a 10 bolt 8 lug conversion. (http://www.coloradok5.com/8lugconversion.shtml) My question is a little different. Can you also swap out the carrier, ring and pinion of a dana 44 into a 10 bolt housing? Furthermore, if you have the 44 "heavy half" axles, can you swap those into the 10 bolt housing? I suspect the answer is, go open them up and give it a try, but if someone has already tried, then let me know how it went?

Thanks

2. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Sorry, only the outers are interchangeable (spindles out including stub shaft)

3. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Blaizinaire hit it. Only from the knuckles out are interchangeable.

Why kind of swapping are you looking at?

4. DwarF

DwarF 1/2 ton status

I have a 10 bolt, and a dana 44. My dana 44 housing is shot, has something like 6 holes that have been welded closed, 1 still leaks. I can't find a spare dana 44 housing anywhere at the salvage yards, and the only responses I have been able to get for getting one afar is that it would cost me about 200 shipping. So, I was evaluating my options with the 10 bolt. I could start calling Houston, that is only a 4 hour drive.

5. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

hmmmmmmm. Let me look around here. I may be able to find you a bare 44 housing. I sold one a while back for $75 to a guy in Texas, let me see if I can work the magic again /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

hey if your interested I've got a d44 under my 71. there was a guy down there that had a 8 lug 10 bolt I needed for $200 you be interested in buying that and just swapping? just a thought. I could meet you part way or something.

7. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have a 10 bolt, and a dana 44. My dana 44 housing is shot, has something like 6 holes that have been welded closed, 1 still leaks. I can't find a spare dana 44 housing anywhere at the salvage yards, and the only responses I have been able to get for getting one afar is that it would cost me about 200 shipping. So, I was evaluating my options with the 10 bolt. I could start calling Houston, that is only a 4 hour drive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just FYI, I know this is in IL, but for $50... Also, I know for a fact that when these things are stripped down like that, you can move them around easy by yourself. Other than size, they don't weigh much. You might check and see if someone from IL is coming closer to TX that can bring it, or check with Laketex and see if he's planning a trip back down south.

There are lots of options, through CK5, we can get you a new housing /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=partsforsale&Number=707285&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

8. wa_jeeper

wa_jeeper Registered Member

If you want it, I've got a D44 I need to get rid of before I move... PM me if you want it.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> This actually can be done, when the Warn shafts for the D44 first came out people were doing it so they could run them in a 10 bolt housing. It requires some machine work to make the D44 carrier fit IIRC, but it is possible. Probably not worth it though, it would be cheaper to just find another D44 housing. </font>

10. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    <font color="green"> This actually can be done, when the Warn shafts for the D44 first came out people were doing it so they could run them in a 10 bolt housing. It requires some machine work to make the D44 carrier fit IIRC, but it is possible. Probably not worth it though, it would be cheaper to just find another D44 housing. </font>

[/ QUOTE ] This is true, then again ANYTHING can be done if you throw enough $$$ at it /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

11. DwarF

DwarF 1/2 ton status

I appriciate the offer, but I have everything practically new on a 44, just the housing is leaking and I don't want another weld on it.