Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 44 vs' 10 bolt brakes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SUPER'BURB, Dec 28, 2006.

1. SUPER'BURB

SUPER'BURB 1/2 ton status

I bought some brake lines for my dana 44 from a member here and some how (I didn't pay enough attention ALL MY FAULT) I ended up with 10 bolt lines.

Well looking at my brakes I need a new caliper on the drivers side anyway.

So my questions are.......

1) Can I purchase 10 bolt calipers and just bolt them up?

2) If not what all needs to be replaced to make them fit?

3) Would it be easier to just sell the 10 bolt lines replace my 1 bad caliper and buy the right lines?

Thanks for the help guys,
    Jess

2. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I got some pretty cheap stainless lines online. I might have the old d44 ones you can have for nothing. I'll have to check. I don't know the difference between d44 and 10b, but I can't imagine they'd be that different, but it seems the d44 stuff tends to be a little more desirable than the 10b. I'm in MH too.

3. jamber2541

jamber2541 1/2 ton status

you can interchange calipers between d44s and 10s

4. SUPER'BURB

SUPER'BURB 1/2 ton status

Cool.

Next question is what years would have had 10 bolts up front instead of the 44. If it makes any differance it is an 8 lug.

This information will keep me from strangling somebody at the parts store.

Brian,

Thanks for the offer on the lines but I'm upgrading to longer stainless lines for more "play".
    Where in San Jose are you? I grew up in south San Jose.

5. jamber2541

jamber2541 1/2 ton status

1/2 ton and 3/4 ton calipers should be the same, I think they started using 10 bolts in 1978, I have a HD d44(1976) that i swapped everything onto from a 1990 10b. only because the d44 had the right gears to match my 14b.
    the only thing I kept was the brake lines and calipers from the 1990 10b so that I would not have to bleed the brakes.( being lazy) even the brake pads are the same.

6. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I'm in Morgan Hill now, but grew up in south sj. I'd like to go wheelin at some point around here, but the blazer still needs some work. The seats are getting reupolstered so I need to get the thing back in the garage before it starts raining again. Neither of the tops are very waterproof.

7. lochenjons

lochenjons 1/2 ton status

Mo hill? I'm too far from you guys either. I know for 1/2 tons the cutoff for d44 and 10b was '77,78 somewhere around there
    EDIT: oops I see jamber beat me too it now that I really read it

8. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Or you can just use those lines... I belive the hole is metric... It just needs to be drilled to the slightly larger american size and your all set:D

9. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

D44 and 10 bolt calipers will both bolt up to your caliper brackets. The only difference between the 2 calipers is the banjo bolt size. The D44 caliper uses a 7/16" banjo bolt whereas the 10 bolt uses a 10mm banjo bolt. As someone already said you have the choice of drilling the banjo fitting to fit the 7/16" banjo bolt or swap out to new 10 bolt calipers. If you already need 1 new caliper as it is then i would swap in a new pair of 10 bolt calipers and banjo bolts.