Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 44 vs. 10 bolt

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rich, Apr 20, 2000.

1. rich

rich 1/2 ton status

Hey. I just bought an '80 GMC truck as a parts vehicle for my '76 K5. It has a 10 bolt front axle that has 3.08's just like the Dana 44 in my K5 does. But this 10 bolt has new brakes, bearings, seals, and U-joints. Plus all the steering components attached to the 10 bolt are new. My Dana 44 needs new steering stuff, new bearings, and one of the spindles is trashed. I need to pull the springs off the GMC truck anyway (they're Tuff Country EZ Ride 4" lift), so since I'm taking the front suspension apart anyway, an axle swap would be no problem. I have a few questions:

How does this 10-bolt compare in strength to the Dana 44?

Is everything from the ball joints out the same between a 10 bolt and a Dana44? I'm asking because maybe I could just use the good outer parts (like the spindle I need for the Dana 44) off the 10 bolt.

What about the steering parts - they are compatible with either axle, right?

Thanks!

Richard
    '76 K-5 Blazer
    '90 K-5 Blazer

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Pretty close to the same strength. The D44 has a bit strong tubes is the only advantage. Yeah the D44 has more splines but the shaft usualy snaps on both before that become an issue. The 10 was built by Dana under contract with GM. The spindals, hubs, Knuckles, and outer axle stubs are interchangable. Some of them you can even use the same Tie rod on. The D44 kept changing the tie rod design so pay attention to what you have and make sure the replacement is the same. They had to order 2 for me when I replaced mine on my 75. first one was the wrong style.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper

3. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Do you have pictures of the 10 bolt built by Dana ? can you please post them
    Thanks alot