Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dana 44 with 8 lug???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigjohn79, Apr 16, 2007.

1. bigjohn79

bigjohn79 1/2 ton status

Need some help boys, I found a 78 or 79 3/4 ton chevy(duh) and it has what appears to be a dana 44 under the front end. 44 is stamped in the case, but man it looks like a dana 60. I did not know the 44 ever had 8 lug, is there any chance it could be a dana 60 Wishful thinking, and I am sure its not BUT, is it worth the swap? I am half ton gear now running 38.5x15.5x15 boggers and I dont want to reinvest in 16 inch boggers, can I run a 15 inch wheel on 8 lug? Oh I have the axle identification chart several times and I am still unsure. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Easy way to tell if it is a Dana 60 is it will have 1 u-bolt and two studs holding the leaf spring to the axle on the passenger side. All strait axle 3/4 ton GM truck came with either an 8 lug Dana 44 or 10 bolt front axle. 78' is a gray area for weather or not it came with either a Dana 44 or a 10 bolt. 10 bolts have a domed cover and 2 points sticking out the bottom like dog ears. Pretty much all 79's came with a 10 bolt. a 79 model can be identified by the headlight bezel which has the turn signal attached to it. 1980 models were the same with the exception being the Silverado package that had the square headlights.......

3. bigjohn79

bigjohn79 1/2 ton status

So there is no chance it is a 60 ? ,Do you think its worth the swap?

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Unless someone swapped in a 60 then there is no chance. I think its worth the swap, but that's just me. And yes you can run 15's with a little grinding on the calipers. People do it all the time. I run 15's on my 3/4 ton 44........
    I also would suggest using the search feature to educate your self........

5. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

60's also have 60F cast into the web on the front bottom of the housing.
    I believe someone said Summit has 15" 8 lug wheels.

6. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Yes they do that is where I got my rims $114 shipped.........

7. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Each or for all 4? If all 4, what part number?

8. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

8-lug Dana 44's are pretty common, and found under most/all GM 3/4 ton trucks in the 70's.

Yes, you can run 15" rims on 8-lug axles. If you want more info do some searching...this has been thoroughly discussed at least 100 times.

Just about any shop can get 15" 8-lug wheels...Summit, Jegs, National Tire & Wheel, 4 Wheel Parts, etc, etc... The cheapest I found as of a month or two ago was $50-$60/wheel

9. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

I'll be doing this swap on my Jimmy soon too in order to run bigger tires. How are D44/14BFFs in price at the average junkyard? Just wondering so I know how much to save up.

To the OP, I think it is worth the swap, UNLESS you have the money to buy a D60. In my case, there is no chance I could afford one, so I will go with the D44 for now.

Also, if I swap my coporate 10 bolt out for a D44, how hard is it to hook up all the steering stuff? Will it all bolt right up the same as it did on the 10 bolt?

10. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

:thumb:

11. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

Oh the front D44 isn't any different? Well it's 8 lug and if I have 8 lug in the rear, that would be weird to have a 6 lug front and 8 lug rear.

I thought the D44 was supposed to be somewhat stronger since it came from a 3/4 ton truck. I would do crossover steering, but I'm not sure how to set that up. So what you're saying is it would be pointless to swap a D44 for a corp. 10 bolt in the front? The reason I'm doing this is so that I can run bigger tires than the 35" tires I have now. Since I'm lifting it more soon, I will want to run 37's or 38's.

12. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

if you are getting a matching set of axles then swap the complete assemblies. If you are going to regear the 14 bolt and whatever front then you can choose which front axle you want to run.

people are telling you not to swap the 44 for your 10 bolt because they are extremely similar, but everyones situation is different. I swapped my original 10 bolt out for a 1975 dana 44. I did it because the gears matched the 14 bolt I was swapping, and I rebuilt it entirely before putting it in. I kept driving around on matching geared 10 bolts until both new axles were ready.

cost and availability are what will determine what course of action you take. I think its easier to rebuild an axle on jackstands in the garage and slide it under a truck, but some people just buy the 8 lug outers, regear and rebuild the axle they have.

flip a coin, its the same result.

13. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

I'll probably just pull one from a junkyard, clean it up and paint it, and throw it under the truck. I don't have the abilities or knowledge, or money, to "rebuild" an axle.

14. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

then sell your truck. any shortcuts you take now could cost you your life or someone elses.

if you can swap the axle then you can rebuild it. a junkyard axle is going to need the brakes replaced, maybe the spindle bearings, possibly the u-joints.

balljoints should be replaced at that point too.

If the carrier bearings and the ring and pinion are reusable then a rebuild is easy. paint does not make your truck stop and turn, new parts do.

15. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

That was for all four. I bought them about 4 years ago so I don't remember the part number. They are American white spokes 15x8's.....