Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 44 ??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90blzr, Apr 6, 2001.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

I am going to be putting a Dana 44 in the front of my '90 blazer. It is out of a 75 blazer. Is there any thing that I should look for inparticular to replace? know alot of you are going to say just go with the 60, but I cant afford it right now. (unless one of course one of my" blazer brothers" wants to give me a great deal on one=) ) So is there anything that I should be lookin' for or something you would highly recommend doing to it? thanks

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Why do you want to put in a 44? Its no stronger than a 10 bolt. The only reasons to swap it would be for gearing or lug pattern.</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

First, I'm going to ask why you are doing the swap? If you are doing it to get a better axle ratio or your current 10-bolt is broke, go for it. However, if you think the Dana 44 will give you more strength the swap is probably not worth the hassle.
    Anyway, I would definitely go through the hub assembly and replace the wheel bearings and seals. Also check the spindle for any pitting or burn marks. It would probably also be a good idea to go ahead and replace the axle u-joints, especially if the front axle was from a full-time 4wd vehicle. This also holds true for the ring and pinion and carrier bearings, I usually don't worry too much about a front axle out of a part time 4wd truck because the front axle doesn't get used very much, but a full-time truck would be a different story.

4. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Exactly. Its for the lug pattern, I only wish I could find good deal on a D60. With my luck I'll get the D44 all redone and put in and then I'll find a good deal on a 60.....i guess its better late than never!!

5. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Seems like the thing that I find bad most of the times is the bearing inside of the spindle. It carries the stub shaft of the axle assembly. They were both bad on my truck. The other would be the axle seals on each side of the pumpkin. Other than that general maintenance

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

6. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

44s generally have 1/2" tube wall thickness, whereas 10 bolts come with .375" wall tube.

ken