Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 44

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Z3PR, May 6, 2002.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Sence the gods of wheeling haven't granted me a Dana 60 at a price I can aford, what do you think of a Dana 44 ???? I will be useing a 14boltFF in the rear, and want something stronger then stock up front. I also want to use 4:88 gears. Would this be good for off roading ??? I really don't plan on rock crawling, I'll be doing more trails then anything else. I'm planning on 35" tires.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Anyone ???

3. 1bad82k5

1bad82k5 1/2 ton status

I have been running a d44 up front and a 14bff in my k5 for awhile now. At least until I get my new d60 in the front. I have hammered on mine pretty hard in mud, snow, and rocks. It is holding up well. Just put good u-joints in the axles. Just my thoughts.
    eric

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have heard that pinions get weaker as the gears get higher (numerically lower). I have heard that 4.56 is about the lowest you want to go in D44's & 10 bolt's because the pinions get to small. Just something to keep in mind.

5. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I think you would be fine. My buddy ran 38's with a D44 and the only thing he ever broke was a spider gear..and he didnt even break it the tow truck driver floored it when it was stuck up to the bumpers in mud. We go wheeling pretty hard all the time and he now runs 36's, we have never broken a shaft or a u-joint. If you had the extra dough you could put a set of chro-mo shafts in and some CTM u-joints. IT would hold up to what ever you could throw at it with 35's.

IMO

Brent

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

How much should I exspect to pay for a matching D44 anf 14boltFF from most salvage yards ???? Say from a 3/4 ton truck.

7. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

that goes for all axles, it is just weaker on a D60 is still stronger than a low number hi ratio gear on a D44, so to speak.
    grant

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

ya, that is true for all axles, but I have heard of people snapping pinions in D44's & 10 bolts because the pinion gets so small with the higher ratios.

9. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

I paid $300 for my set with 4.10. Needed usually bearings/seals. Front axle is a little rusty, don't know if I'll use it, but came with flattops.

85mouse, thanks again for hauling those axles for me /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Whats a fair price for a D44 and a 14boltFF ????? The cheapest price I've found is $600.00 for the pair with 4:10 gears. Salvage yard. Is that a fair price ????

11. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I paid $400 for my 3/4-ton D44 and 14BFF w/ 4.56 gears.
    Most of the j/y's wanted 300 for just the front axle.

12. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Go look for some farmer's rusted out 3/4 ton beater pickup. That's the way a lot of guys do it around here, Michigan. Buy the entire truck for $500, use the axles and whatever else they feel like, and dump the rest at the junkyard.

I've got my eyes on two sets of 3/4 ton axles right now, one is $350, and I'm pretty sure the other I can talk down to about $250. Both are supposed to be 4.10's. I'll have to see if either has an open 14FF./forums/images/icons/cool.gif

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

That's very hard to find in this area. All the ranchers seem to be drivivg newer trucks. It's slim pickins lookin for 4x4 parts around here. I live at the start of the Black Hills National Forest.

14. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Same here, but look around some. That one sitting out behind the barn with the weeds up to the windows. Etc. They may not expect to get anything out of it, so they just park it and leave it. Guy I work with got one from his neighbor that way (they're both farmers). He saw it sitting there and figured out it was a 3/4 ton. Offered the guy $250, the other guy accepted and he got himself a running 3/4 ton Chevy. He's already sold the 350 for $200 and offered me the axles for "make me an offer"./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I dunno, but it's worth a shot. You never know what you could get. Guy on Off-Road.com/Chevy got two 3/4 tons for $500 around the turn of the year. He saw them sitting in front of a snowplow shop every day when he drove by. Never moved so one day he went in and asked about them. He offered $500 and they accepted. Bodies were thrashed, but he certainly got more than $500 out of them!

15. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I assume you are only looking for the Dana 44 so that it has matching 8 lugs to the 14 bolt. Otherwise it is no stringer than your 10 bolt front, at all. So, keep that in mine.

I ran 4.88s in mine for a while, no problem with pinion size. Dont really need to worry about that until you get higher up.

Personally I wouldnt pay more than $100 for a 1/2 ton front. And I wouldt expect to pay around $250-$400 for the 14 bolt.

Ken H.