Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 44??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MTBLAZER89, Apr 14, 2003.

1. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hi all I am working on my 14bff and looking for a front to match. Question is Dana 44 3/4 ton....Is it a direct bolt in? If not what do I have to change?
    Question #2 What do I have to do to convert my 10b front to 8 lugs? Just trying to figure out which way is cheaper and easier. Thanks

-Brian

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

direct bolt in yes, obviously youll need 8 lug rims.

to convert your 10 bolt to 8 lug

youll need brakes, calipers, rotors, hubs, im not sure if youll need spindles or not,

but i think it would be more cost effective. to find a 8 lug front end, rather then buying the parts to do it.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You only "need" the 8 lug backing plate, 8 lug hub, and 8 lug rotor to do the swap. You can reuse the stock caliper, spindle, etc. It would be smart to redo the wheel bearings, races, and pads while it is apart, but you don't "need" to.

4. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I thought hubs were the same.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

locking hubs are the same, but wheel hubs are not. The wheel hub is the piece that has the wheel bearing races, wheel bearings in it. The wheel studs drive threw the rotor and attach to it.

my personal opinion on swapping axles or converting is this:

If you don't have to swap gears in your current axle to get it to match the 14bff and you can find the 8 lug parts for a decent price convert.

If the gears need to be changed or you can't get parts cheap then swap in the other axle assuming it has the proper gear ratio and is in decent shape.