Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 44

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bigd, Apr 3, 2000.

1. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

I have a 1/2 ton D44.I'm changing the rear to a 14b.I'm wondering what it takes to change the D44 to the 8 lug pattern.Already have to much money in front end to change.Any help would be appreciated.

2. Rockblazer

Rockblazer 1/2 ton status

You will need to find a 3/4 ton front end and swap everything from the knuckles out. It is still a dana 44 but 8 lug. Better yet... find a 60 to swap under there! Or carry 2 spares... Shut up!
    Todd
    85 Diesel
    "You're right... I don't understand that Jeep thing!

3. Anglewood

Anglewood Registered Member

If you have the cash, I know you can go to a custom shop and have them do a conversion, Other than that, I am not sure how or what parts to use in this type of swap. maybe you could replace the hubs with pieces from a 3/4 ton D44. I'm sure some of the other guys know a lot more about this stuff.

Anglewood,
    '78 K5 Cheyenne 4x4, 400ci
    http://members.xoom.com/CBlazer.1/bcbalazerpage.htm

4. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Very nice
    I may have to use that pic for a ColoradoK5.com banner!!!

Steve

5. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Anglewood is right, all you need is hubs and rotors. A d60 is way stronger than a 44, but they are expensive. if you can find one cheap, i say get it. otherwise, pick up some 8-lug 3/4 ton hubs and rotors. here's Anglewwod's url for us lazy folks
    http://members.xoom.com/CBlazer.1/bcbalazerpage.htm</font color=blue>

6. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

do you know if the hubs will go on the spindles or do i have to get those to.Are these hard to find items.Thanks guys.

7. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I believe the spindles are the same (1/2, 3/4 ton, Dana 44 and 10 bolt), check a salvage yard for a 3/4 ton truck or burban and pull everything from the knuckles back. you might want to grab the spindles (hey, your there) and ask the salvage yard if you can return them without a stocking fee if you do not use them. Or use this trick, your at the yard, you see a Chevy part, but your not to sure if you need the part, but you don't want someone else to grab it for the next couple of days, simply place the parts in the trunk of a Pinto or something, that way if you need the part you can come back and get it. (of course you should return the part to the original truck as soon as you can [​IMG])

Steve

8. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

steve, that's a great idea. Why cant i think of stuff like that?

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

9. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

the later 77-on spindles are all the same, but there are some early model spindles, like i have on my 75 that have a smaller inner bearing, you want the larger one, trust me when i saw the bigger one, i thought damn that is bigger, the calipers are the same, but the backing plates are different on the 3/4 ton to accomodate the bigger rotor, if you get the later internal hub style, your locking hubs will even work on it,

RaisedK5

"Friends don't let friends drive Fords"