Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 44's can't be built?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigk, Aug 2, 2001.

1. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

Dana 44\'s can\'t be built?

Everybody keeps saying that you should save your money for a D60, but didn't Stephen Watson used to run a built 44 or 10 bolt with 37's? I can't really imagine being more abusive than he is. Thanks ahead, guys.
    P.S. I don't plan on running anymore than a 38.

Karl
    Temporarily Unemployed Underwear Model
    87 3/4 ton

2. ScoobyDann

ScoobyDann 1/2 ton status

El Paso, TX (Far West Texas near Las Cruses
    Re: Dana 44\'s can\'t be built?

i just dont want to break anything, well besides the wallet of course, but on the trail, i want to go through the trail and come back unbroken no matter what. i'm easy on the ten bolt and haven't broken anything yet (knock on wood) so I know the 60 will take a little more punishment w/ no probs, mkae that a lot more punishment. I also want to be in the 35-39" range

sun desert offroad http://community.webshots.com/user/scoobydann

3. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Depends on where you wheel and how heavy your right foot is. If you do mud or if you stay open in the front a 44 will have a nice long life under your truck. My 44 does ok with 35's but I do break my share of U-joints in them. If you go with the hardened shafts and good U-joints with full circle snap rings instead of the 2/3 circle clips that come with them you will do just fine. I am going to a 60 because 38.5's are calling my name and it is fun to romp on it once in a while without listening for the POW. Try to run a light tire and wheel combo and go for it. Or if you want buy mine it already has 410's and is locked.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

4. Rockjunkies

Rockjunkies 1/2 ton status

What do you want for your axles?

Keep it simple!

5. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

If I remember right Steve Frisbie runs a D44 front with 37's. Dana 44's are a stout unit, and can be built even better - A D60 is just better right out of the box.

Generic Signature
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

6. 86K5TrailBlazer

86K5TrailBlazer 1/2 ton status

Also something to keep in mind is a build up of a 44 or 10b will cost almost as much as a 60 in decent shape. Two factors are 10b or 44 are under the truck already and D60 parts are mucho $$$$$.

7. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>If you add quality ring and pinions, alloy shafts, full-circle clips and a full case l/s or locker they can hold up. Unless your rockcrawling with larger than 36" tires or have a built motor, a 44 or a 10 bolt can work. I have a 77 8 lug 44 in my truck since october and I havent broken anything yet (broke a front driveshaft though), on my old 44 I broke the steering u-joints but they were the 260-X joints (same as in jeeps) and I was bouncing up rock stairsteps. For most trucks a 44 or a 10 bolt is fine. Also, I like having to use driver skill to get over things. Anyone can bolt up all the goodies, head out to the trail and right-foot they're way through anything without breaking. I like to have to try to get through stuff without breaking or needing a front locker.</font color=blue>

8. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I just figured since the 44 was already there and I can afford a few upgrades at a time better than a big chunk at once, I'd like to try to keep it. Ain't no Sledgehammer trail here in Illinois, just mud and hills and big tires.

Karl
    Temporarily Unemployed Underwear Model
    87 3/4 ton

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I live in Illinois, my friends run 38s, 39.5s, and 44s on 10 bolt fronts. If you're just doing mud, even in a throttle fest, you're not going to break it.

I run 35s and I've beat my truck to no end and it always asks for more.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles