Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dana 60 15" question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sweetk30, Mar 12, 2006.

1. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i have looked and searched. looks like 2.5-2.75 backspacing is best for no grinding. then 3.50 range will need some grinding to clear. the question i have is would it be worth my time and money to use my 4.25 backspaced rims and run 2" spacers or get the correct rims? and just how much grinding is needed with the 3.50 range rims and pics would be great if you have them.

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I run 4.25 backspacing and they fit fine. I did have to grind quite a bit though:o . Total was about 2.5 hours on the first side and 1 hour on the second. That includes test fitting.

Ira

Last edited: Mar 12, 2006
  3. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

i have 3" BS, i was able to grind both sides in 20-25min (excluding time to test fit)

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

id buy the correct rims (all 4 or 5) it would be about the same cost. only differance i can see is if you are running 4.25 in the back you cant rotate the tires. it might be worth while to get spacers if thats the case.

5. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

i can post pics tomorrow of 3" bs if u want

6. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

i like my 4.25 bs rims because they dont make the tire stick out that much. It took 1.5 hours to do the first side and 1 hour to do the other and 2 grinding wheels. Not to mention a trip to the store to buy a new grinder when my ryobi crapped out half way thru the first side. I would not do spacers at all. I have a couple (2) crappy phone pics of what it looked like after i was done grinding on my cardomain site http://www.cardomain.com/ride/795001/3

I like the 4.25 because of the load it puts on the bearings in the front also. Makes for less Death Wobble.

Im tearing my front end apart soon and i will put up newer pics of the grinded calipers and brackets.

The rear took 10-15 minutes for each side to clearance the tires. Im into at least 2 hours of grinding for brakes on my truck and i wont do it again. Already had to get a new caliper so i sent the one i grinded back to the manufacturer to get it rebuilt so i would not have to regrind a new one.

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I chose 4.25 and grinding over 2.5 cause I wanted to stick the tires as far in as I could. If width is not a concern for you I would go with the 2.5. It could make wheel bearings and kingpins wear quicker do to the forces on the hub and it will also effect you scrub radius. It is give and take.

Ira

8. sweetk30

ya i dont want 4.25 and ground to death calipers. if you do have pics of the 3.0 and the amount of grinding that would be great.

9. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Check out NVRENUF's ( John ) web page - I think there are some shots of his D60 stuff when he was running 15" wheels. If I remember correctly he grinded for hours and hours to the point where I was scared of all the metal piles but I have to admit he's been running it that way for 10+ years with no problems what so ever .

Tom

10. sweetk30

biggest thing is its not my truck. i am doing this for a friend for a surpise to his truck. he has a set of 40" tires but for 15" rims. so i need to keep this to a cheep and simple plan. trying to help a great guy out. :D

11. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

Get the 2.5 bs then. Not your truck so I wouldnt grind anything!