Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dana 60 16 spline?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76K5, Feb 25, 2003.

1. 76K5

76K5 Registered Member

I recently installed a Dana 60 in my truck. It only has 16 splines, is this diff older than Jesus? I've never seen a 16 spline Dana 60. Anyway we are welding up today. Any tips I might need to know. Thanks for the help. Oh yeah, I'm running 39.5 boggers, do yall think it will hold /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Are you sure it's 16 not 19 spline?

3. One_Ton_k5

One_Ton_k5 1/2 ton status

early ford 60's were 16 spline.

I heard they break. I don't think a 30 spline 60 will hold up to those tires.

Later.

4. 76K5

76K5 Registered Member

yeah it is an early ford, it is only 16 spline. We are welding the rear end right now. I guess I will just see what happens? Does anybody know where I can get spare 16 spline shafts. I bet they are hard to find?Thanks!
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

I've got parts left from 1970 eaton rear.It's 16 spline axles are still good.Ran it with 38s till locker broke and couldn't get parts for it.If you can use it I'll be glad to bring it to Tellico in Apr. for a little gas money,I'm not going to use it.I think the OD of axles is 1.5 or 1.6,not shure about length,Just let me know before then. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. One_Ton_k5

[ QUOTE ]
    Does anybody know where I can get spare 16 spline shafts. I bet they are hard to find?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a set you can have for the cost of shipping.

PM me if you want them.

7. One_Ton_k5

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Very common in older stuff. Easy to upgrade to 30-spline... just takes axles and side-gears. No real strength difference as the diameter is the same.

My buddy snapped a 30-spline shaft in his '79 F250. He gutted a '72 F250 with the same rear. Pulled 4.10's, a Powr-Lok & 16-spline axles, and installed the works in the '79 housing.

9. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

the diameter is the same,however,on the 16 spline axles the splines are cut deeper,making the shaft weaker at the splines.

10. Langosta39

Langosta39 1/2 ton status

Or you can drill out your spindles and get some 35 spline shafts for the ultimate in rearend strength. Then I guess your ring and pinion would be the weak point.

andy

11. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

72THING used to run a welded and 4.56ed 30 spline D60 in his 72 C10 (yes C10...we hung all the 4wd hardware). He broke 3 0r 4 axleshafts in it. He used to carry a spare at all times. In fact, when he sold it, a spare shaft went with it. I'm not saying I wouldn't run it, but I would absolutely carry a spare shaft (if they are both the same, 2 if they are different) and tools to change it out on the trail. This would include a magnet to fish out metal chips and pieces, hand tools, parts cleaner, SOMETHING TO CATCH OLD GEARS OIL AND TAKE TO HOME, and fresh gear oil. I personally will no longer run a welded diff on anything street driven. I ran a D70 HD with the 1.5" 35 spline shafts and when I broke my second axle shaft, it ruined to spindle. Now I run to oh so common FF14 with a detroit.