Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 35 spline stub shafts, locking hubs, and inner axles

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Eric M., Sep 11, 2003.

1. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I saw this on your site,
    "Dana 60 35 spline stub shafts, locking hubs, and inner axles"
    But no "clicky clicky" yet. Any idea when this will be available and how much?

Thanks,

Eric M.

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

They're available now, and have been, parts with no link you just have to call about.
    Short inner: $88
    Long inner: $102
    Stubs, doesn't matter, they're unavailable, backordered from spicer. But we do have some superior stubs that should run about $130 each I think.
    Joints run about $48.00 depending on type.
    We also just put together wheelbearing kits for $44.00 per side (seal included) and carry kingpin rebuild kits for $49.50 per side. Spindle kits are about $11.00 each (includes the seals and bearing)
    We're trying to get to where we have all the parts to rebuild a D60F and it's looking like we're pretty close.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Stephen, can the king pin springs and bushings be bought separately without having to buy the whole kit?

4. Stephen

5. 4X4HIGH

Thanks Stephen, just what I was looking for.

6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

Big S man...
    yer doing your job to well. you cant direct people to the EXACT thing they need... you got to make them search the site for it a bit... lure them into something else at the same time.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

ok, im kidding. i just wanted to let you know 17 dollars for that kit IS GREAT. i paid 12 dollars for JUST the bushing. so, look foreward to my order for a kit from you soon. keep up the great work.
    Grant

7. 4X4HIGH

I have looked all over your site and did not see that anywhere. Are you hiding a bunch of stuff from us??? My order will be coming your way very soon.

8. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    They're available now, and have been, parts with no link you just have to call about.
    Short inner: $88
    Long inner: $102
    Stubs, doesn't matter, they're unavailable, backordered from spicer. But we do have some superior stubs that should run about $130 each I think.
    Joints run about $48.00 depending on type.
    We also just put together wheelbearing kits for $44.00 per side (seal included) and carry kingpin rebuild kits for $49.50 per side. Spindle kits are about $11.00 each (includes the seals and bearing)
    We're trying to get to where we have all the parts to rebuild a D60F and it's looking like we're pretty close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are these prices for 4340 axles? What brand are these? Thanks Stephen.

9. Stephen

The $88/$102 is for spicer axles, superior's inners aren't quite available yet. The approx. $130 price is for the superior chromo stubs.

I was all happy to be into cheap durable shafts for the D60 as compared to the D44 chromo's but now we're back to paying $600 or so for a set of axles that can be screwed up by an exploding ujoint. Of course we're now playing with real big tires so it's a bit different story.

10. Mudzer

Not too bad of a price, I have heard bad things about Yukon after seeing pics on Pirate. Guess, they are real inconsistant in their casting/machining pro-cess. I did see a set of Yukon's in action this past weekend and he didn't Baby it! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Stephen

I guess Randy's actually has some axles out now then, they've been a myth for so long I quit trying to keep up. I think the superior stuff is going to be really nice, probably a different price level than the imported stuff, but they have a good rep for all the rest of their axle products and that seems to carry over into the new front axles too.
    And then there's CTM, holy cow!

12. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

We bought a set of 4340 stubs from Randy's. With a set of drive gears, solid ujoints and full circle snap rings, we attempted to break them...and couldn't.

13. Mudzer

[ QUOTE ]
    We bought a set of 4340 stubs from Randy's. With a set of drive gears, solid ujoints and full circle snap rings, we attempted to break them...and couldn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hence the "he didn't baby it" comment above... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. Mudzer

Stephen,

Could you let me know a projected date you will have the Superior stubs in stock? I am in the market for the stubs and would like to check another brand on the market.

15. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

What drivetrain and tires are you running? And waht vehicle was this on? And what kind of terrain was this attempt made on?

I am willing to spend the money if I can be confident that they will hold up. Then I can use more of my lead foot!
    /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Ken H.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

16. Mudzer

Place: Fulton, Missouri

Trail: Sunday Drive

Throttle: Hammered

Stub Shafts: 35 Spline Yukon

Tire Size: 40" Swampers! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Terrain Type: Very large boulders....

Heres Todd just before the hammering... Nobody got pics of the actual event, we were all in awe.
    [​IMG]

Heres another pic of the area with my Junk - thats a buried 40" IROK!

[​IMG]

17. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Cool. I have two spare stubs and a spare set of Warn hubs, After those are toast I have benn thinking of going to 35 spline.

Ken H.

18. Stephen

Hmmm, wet rocks. That usually calls for finding some "get awn it" in your purse....

Did a real price check on the superiors and they're going to be about $315 each. Yukon should be about $120 each.
    Superior will have inners ready to go in about a week, they're going to be about $475 each (average of short/long price).
    Yukon inners are not in sight, we have no real idea when they'll be ready to go but pricing should be pretty cheap.

Obviously we were off by quite a bit on the superior pricing, oops.

Got word 35 spl spicer stubs are available again, so that's an option now.

I added up a full set of superiors D60 fronts with CTM ujoints and it's a little over $2000.00. Ouch. Replacing the CTM's with spicer 806's drops that price by a few hundred but are you going to bet $800 worth of axles on a spicer joint?

A set of CTM axles with their joints runs $3K and they say they 300M runs about twice the tensile strength of the 4340, given the different heat treats and all.

This makes a full set of 35 spl/806 spicer axles at $470.00 sound like a bargain.

What a mess, I was so glad to be away from the D44 chromoly axles because of the expense and variables in knowing just what you need, now we're back in the same boat. It's like deja vu all over again.

Do you guys running factory inners with cromo outers worry about breaking the inner? That inner shaft is the last thing I want to break, cleaning debris out of the spindle and even out of the bearing hub is really easy compared to dealing with a bunch of metal in the differential. I've considered putting a groove in the inner shaft so it would break outside the seal surface somewhere, hopefully cleanly like a D44 shaft.

19. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

Is Yukon offering the blank unsplined inners yet? They have the axles on their web site, but that doesn't mean a whole lot.

20. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

How does the strength of the Yukons compare to Superior? Is it the same material? Also what about Moser/ they sell their 60 axles $395/pair (inner and outer?). How strong are the Moser axles? I need to do something obviously and want to do it right the first time. BTW I broke another LH stub the day after I left you guys at Carnage. Can't figure out why. Its not like I am hard on them or anything....