Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dana 60 & 8" of lift

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mybeast, Oct 11, 2000.

1. mybeast

mybeast Registered Member

dana 60 & 8\" of lift

I'm treating my 79 jimmy to a Dana 60. Whats the best way to solve my steering problems(without going to a crossover or hydralic setup)the swap is going to drain my fundage. Any comments positive or negative would help.

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!!

When all else fails MASH skinny pedal!

2. Re: dana 60 & 8\" of lift

You could buy a raised stering block for the nucle and dropped drag link.Not as good as crossover but it should work fine.
    Good luck

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

3. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

Re: dana 60 & 8\" of lift

If you are using 8" springs that were for a stock front axle-you'll actually have closer to a 10" lift when you bolt on the 60. Dana 60 block(3-4"),2" dropped pitman,2" dropped draglink.

4. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Well the Dana 60 blocks for the knuckle only measure 2.5", the dropped pitman arm is 2", and the dropped drag link is 4", so you've got enough corrections available. Also, if in fact you do go 8", save up and buy the crossover steering, it is utterly amazing how much better these tall trucks steer with crossover steering versus all those danged corrections. I did both my crossovers on my dana 60s for under $250 each. We don't need no stinking ORU $800 kit!!!!

ken

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Hey Ken do have a write up or any "plans" drawn up for your crossover steering kit?

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

6. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

No, but its not rocket science. Got the custom right hand steering arm from Parts Mike (it was like $75-100, can't remember), also got the new pitman arm (for the 2WD steering box) from Parts Mike, although this is a Superlift part (#1104) for a lifted Jeep Wagoneer. If you get the Ford pitman, the tapered hole is not the correct size, so get the Jeep one. For a steering box, I went to my father-in-laws wrecking yard and got a 2WD GM truck box. Make sure you get the correct fitting version (changed in 1981 I believe), otherwise you'll have to get a custom hose (and we're trying to do this on the CHEAP!), For the drag link, I got a used Chevy 44 (or 10 bolt) tie-rod and had it shortened to my specified length and re-threaded (machine shop cost $25). This is about it, all for under $250 or so.

ken

7. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

That will work

Thanks Ken!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

8. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Hey Ken, Thanks for posting that, will help me out mucho in the future. But who is "Parts Mike?" Do they have a website or number or anything? Sorry, I just never heard of them, but would like to get those parts from them. Thanks
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

9. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

There's an article on http://www.off-road.com/chevy on the Dana 60 crossover. Parts Mike link to his site should be there. He's a great guy and he knows his stuff.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods

10. mybeast

Ken thanks for the advise. I'll probably go that route.Hopfully it just sounds more difficult than it really is.

When all else fails MASH the skinny pedal!

11. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Yeah! This crossover steering is SO EASY!!! I am really suprised alot more people haven't done it yet. I'm gonna do my 3rd 60 crossover on the wife's Suburban...it's getting 8" lift springs (up from it's low altitude 6"!!!), then it'll get a crossover, they just steer SO MUCH better!! As for Parts Mike, his # is 530-885-0673 and he is in Auburn, CA (close to the Rubicon!). As a side note, Mike also set me up with the steering arms (plural) for "knuckle over" steering (same as crossover for us GMs) in my Jeep Scrambler (CJ8) with Dana 44...so you know what that means? Yes, he's got the crossover stuff for those of you STILL running 44 or 10 bolt fronts. Mike is a great guy and wonderful to talk on the phone to, great customer service, and best of all VERY REASONABLY priced...I wish I could say that of other crossover steering selling companies (ORD excluded!!). Good luck!!

ken

12. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

13. mybeast

Ken, about how long does it take once you round up all the parts. i'm sold this is the way i'm going to go.

When all else fails MASH the skinny pedal!

14. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

About and hour or two. And that's taking beer, er ah, I mean, soda breaks!! The trick is to get the measurement approximately accurate for the drag link so you can already have that shortened and ready to go. I recommend installing the right side steering arm, then take the new pitman arm and hold it up kinda where it will go when you replace the steering box, then take a measurement and have your tie rod (new drag link) shortened. It can be close, but I wanted it to be within an inch, so my adjustment on the drag link wouldn't be all the way in or all the way out. My measurement was 44", but yours may vary, mock it up like I said so that you have the drag link ready to go so your truck is not out of commission waiting for the shortened drag link. Hope this helps, and good luck!

ken