Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 allert! Design changes.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BAJA_BLAZER, May 1, 2002.

1. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

FYI, Dana has changed the offset of the Pinion bearings on newly manufactured Dana 60 center sections by 0.100" making all previous spools and diffs not fit. We had to mill down our Mark Williams spool to get the ring gear offset correct. We tried both offset spools (the one for 3.90 and up, the one for 4.11 and down). Hard to believe they would do this and not give it a new number (Dana 62?) but Mark at ProGear in San Diego who builds our race rear ends called Dana and they confirmed it. Our new Dana 60 center section was a newly manufactured one delivered to Summers Bros who installed the chromoly axle tubes. Pro Gear in San Diego has also just now seen this on a new Ford E350 when they tried to upgrade the diff. I don't think Reider Racing or any of the other resellers know this yet so beware.

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Thanks for the info, I wonder why they would make that change.

3. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Because they are stupid.

Pete

4. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

tell us how you really feel, Pete....

5. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

sounds like somebody has a few issues with the Dana people...

Later

6. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Forgive me for being slow, is this a new center section purchased from Dynatrac or do you somehow buy direct from Dana? Also as for the OE applications, do you know approx. what year this started? Any other applications besides an E350?

Just curious, thanks for the great info!!

7. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

WCD said that Dana has been doing this for Ford and Dodge for the last 10 years. It wasn't Dana's idea. They required the BOM # off of my axle to make sure I got the right carrier. Almost no aftermarket parts are made for these oddball axles.

FYI the Dana 60 carrier split is 4.10/down and 4.56/up.

8. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

I work for Dana. (Clevite Engine Parts) But, my last day is next Friday. I need to get out before it gets too bad. Probably laid off 50,000 in the last year and a half.

And no I can't get a free Dana 60 just because I work for them!

9. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

Just a follow-up on what I have learned since my last post:

AZK5 you are correct on the Dana 60 carrier split being 4.10/down and 4.56/up.

Regarding: "WCD said that Dana has been doing this for Ford and Dodge for the last 10 years. It wasn't Dana's idea. They required the BOM # off of my axle to make sure I got the right carrier. Almost no aftermarket parts are made for these oddball axles." I talked to Ed (x113) at WCD and he confirmed that all D60 Housings (Center Sections) are the same regardless of application, Ford or Dodge. The only variance is in the carrier "families" as noted. WDC was not aware of the new changes to the D60 Center Section that I am reporting. This first came to light when we were building a new rear end for our race truck and started with a brand new D60 housing. It again surfaced when our builder tried to install an ARB in a 2001 Ford E350 and the ARB will not fit. He has contacted ARB and they are researching the situation.

I just got off the phone with Gene Chadwell at Dana in Ft Wayne, IN who is very familiar with D60 yet not with our situation. He is going to talk to the D60 Engineers and get back to me. He did give me the following info. 99% of D60s have a 6.625 pinion offset, the D61s have a 9.26 pinion offset and were developed to accommodate a 3.07 R&P. There were a few D60 built for Dodge and even fewer for Ford that had the same 9.26 offset and 3.07 R&P (mostly used in Diesel apps.) He said the D60 FF was never offered with 35 spline side gears/axles, most were 30 spline and a few (Motor home, HD) had 32 spline. Most D60 SF had 35 spline axles, the new SF offered in the last few years are mostly 32 spline and are giving them problems.

I am trying to get to the bottom of this because it has already cost us time and money, and in racing unknowns cans be costly.