Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dana 60 and 14 bolt swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JDELBLAZ, Jan 20, 2003.

1. JDELBLAZ

JDELBLAZ 1/2 ton status

i will be doing this swap in a few months and was wondering what else i will need to do? such as u joint for the front and rear drive shaft steering components any info would be a big help. my truck currently has a 12 bolt rear and a gm not dana 10 bolt front axle thank you

2. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

The 60 is a straight swap, from what I am told. I will be doing my swap next weekend so I will know for sure! Only thing that would seem needing attention that I can see is the steering arm. I have a 4" lift with a raised arm on my 10-bolt. There is no height mod on the 60 steering arm. Maybe a spacer would need to be added to raise it and keep the drag link level. But, then again, maybe the arm is positioned higher than the 10-bolt therefore making that unnecessary. I am replaceing my steering with crossover/hysteer/hydro assist when I do mine, so no issue for me, but maybe something you need to consider.

On the 14b, what did it come out of? Mine came from a M-1009 military K30. From what I understand, the spring perches will need to be moved in on my axle as the K5 frame is narrower than the K30. I also removed my shock mounts and got new ones as the factory originals hang so far below the axle. Mine also came with downward-facing u-bolts. I gat a kit with new u-bolts and spring plates so I could flip them. You can get this from ORD is you need it.

If you don't have u-bolts or spring plates with your D60, you will need to get these as well. The ones from your 10b ain't gonna cut it!

3. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

No, if your 14 bolt is out of a K30 truck (military or not) the spring perches will need to be moved out . The frames are the same width but the spring hangers are different. On 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks, the spring perches on the rear axle are 42.5" apart (if I remember correctly) and one ton trucks are 40" apart. This is to allow clearance for dually tires, even if the truck is not a dually. Welding on new perches is reportedly prety easy, I think there's a write up on it somewhere on here.

4. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

there is so much good info on this already...do a search

TX: you will need a spacer for the steering. the arm on the D60 actually drops down towards the axle tube... dont know why. the spacer is like $70 and i *think* superlift was the cheapest

Ryan

5. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Actually, as I stated, this isn't a concern for me. I am going crossover/hysteer/hydro-assist using Avalanche steering arms on both sides with a WTOR Redneck Ram.

6. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

been to the avalanche site lately....PoiSoN SPyDeR....

RYan

7. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Guess that would explain why my order has been delayed. They have to get their pretty new boxes in first!

8. cityfarmer2

cityfarmer2 Guest

Did my Swap yesterday Dana 60 was a cinch 14 bolt was okay but I have a negative spring angle(tips of springs pointing downward on front) don't know how to correct. Looks as if I were doing some rock climbing with it it would get hung up. I am assuming the springs should be as level as possible. Holding up on welding the perches until I research more. Also if your 14 bolt came from a 1 ton as mine did the shock mounts will most definatley need to be cut off an remounted. Or even better replaced. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif