Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 and 14 bolt

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ramses, Apr 8, 2005.

1. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

I havent got to go look at them yet, but this weekend im gonna go look at a Dana 60 and 14 bolt with 4.10 gears. The guy said he would probly take $200 for both together. That seems like a good price to me, even if theyre not in the greatest shape, am I right? I dont need the 14 bolt because I have one so ill probly sell it as soon as I can to fix whatever needs to be on the Dana 60. What exactly should I look for to see if they are good axles? What are some good signs that would tell me that they are good or might be junk? I especially want to know whether the Dana 60 is good, and I have never really even looked at one up close before so I dont know what to look for being good or bad on it. So what will I need to look for to tell me to buy them or not? And what parts on the Dana 60 should I expect to replace before I put it under my truck? Also, what differences are there in a 60 from a 44 besides the 60 is bigger? Does the 60 have the same steering setup? I know a 60 has kingpins but im not sure what they really do. and when I put the 60 under my truck, will everything bolt right up? Will the drag link go on the same way as the 44? And does a Dana 60 have a steering arm like a 44? I put on a different steering arm with my lift, will I have to do something different on the 60?

2. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Just look it over the way you would any axle. Take off the diff cover and make sure the inner is not full of salt water.. :crazy: Check the over-all condition, eyeball the tubes and see if they are bent. The D60 will have 3 U bolts, and on the pass side spring perch, to the inside of the perch, there will be 2 bolts holes for the other side of the spring. I myself am going to replace pretty much all the bearings in mine... basically an overhual or at least a re-fresh, since it's not in yet, and is easier to just do now... and that's for one that was on the road before I got it.

200 bucks is a freakin steal if it's indeed a D60, and in good condition. Good find. :thumb:

3. ramses

ramses 1/2 ton status

So how much do you think it would cost to replace most of the parts that wear out on a 60? And what parts would I be looking at replacing? Also, fogot to ask, are the brakes on a 60 any different from a 44? Are the rotors and calipers different? Because I just put new calipers on my 44 recently and I hoped they wouldnt be different so I could use them.

4. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Everything is different from the 44 to the 60. The draglink and steering stabilizer can be reused, nothing else. D60 front axles go for about $1K, used. That axle can be an absolute mess, needing a complete rebuild and you're still getting a steal! I'd say brush up on your D60 identifying and if it is indeed a D60 .... don't ask too many questions, don't waste too much time, hand over the cash and load it up fast!

Here's a link to D60 info:

Dana 60 Bible

Good find.

Eric M.

5. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

That is an EXCELLENT price, snatch em up quick!!!!!

6. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

and if the guy doesn't have and engine hoist to lift it, bring about 6 -8 friends to help you lift it. It's almost 600LBs if the steering stuff is on it :yikes:

7. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

To make sure you are getting a 60, make sure the knuckles look like this:

Top kingpin cap:
    [​IMG]

Kingpin cap and whole knuckle pic(note: this is a DRW axle in the pic):
    [​IMG]

I've seen alot of people think they have a 60 for sale when it is really a D44.

I would at least rebuild the knuckles(new kingpin parts) on the axle and brakes. Possibly the wheelbearings and seals also... And might as well put in new u-joints to play it safe..

8. skelly1

skelly1 1/2 ton status

Just missed one today in the san diego parts trader for $300. Ironically, I was looking for my own selling axle add, which the trader didn't get in this week like they were supposed to.

9. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

For $200, with a 14 bolt, it would still be a good deal full of salt water. My $150 Dodge D60 came with about a quart of fresh water inside the carrier :frown1: and it wreaked some havoc, but cheap is cheap.