Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 And 14Bolt Axles build up.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 53chevy, Feb 27, 2005.

1. 53chevy

53chevy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Need help on beefing up the axles and driveline. What are some items i need to beef it up. Thanks
    Luke

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

kinda broad...

Whats your price Range? What are you gonna be doing with your rig.

3. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Dana 60, 14 bolt, aftermarket drivelines. But yeah...kinda broad.

4. 53chevy

53chevy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Mud,Mud and Mud, and some road. Have 39.5X18x16.5 Boggers. want to go bigger 44 ish. All on a 84 gmc 1 ton . it has 12 inches of lift . I know it had Det. lockers ,Anything else.

5. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Thats already beef! LOL.

6. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

With a 14bolt, yer already sittin beefy, just slap on disc brakes and if its got a detroit n gears, you'll be good to go...I dont know anyone who's trashed one yet.

If its just mud, a stock 60 will be fine, maybe a selectable locker and gears if you wanna get crazy go with some 35 spline outters and warn hubs.

Really, in there stock form both are beefy as it is and shouldnt give you any problems. Ive got a 60 waitin back home and all Ill do to it is freshen everythin up and slap in an ARB and gears, call it done!

7. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Like everyone already said, a D60 & 14BFF are already pretty beefy, especially if your just running in mud. Some sort of traction aide up front would be great.. and like mentioned, if your budget is flexable enough, 35 spline stubs & hubs would be nice... but the 30's will probably be plenty.

Since mud = moisture, I would make sure you relocate your diff vent lines to as high a location as you can find, along with T case etc. Top of the firewall maybe...

Rear disc's will not trap and hold mud like the stock drums will. I'd still go with some diff cover guards even though you plan to run mud, you never know whats lurking in the stuff, like a log or rock. I'd also shave the stock lip off the 14 for sure to get the little extra clearance from it.. the extra drag in the mud could make a difference.

That's about all I can think of right now.

8. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Yeh definately long breather lines, I deal with water back home and nothin worse than water inthe axle, makes for a ****ty day. Always have good seals. Diff cover protection is a good call, nothin like runnin into ****.