Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 and 15 inch rims

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bigd, Aug 7, 2000.

1. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

I know this has been discussed.What i'm looking for is any one in the colorado springs area that has one and wouldn't mind me trying one of my rims on it.Too see how much i would have too grind.I have a 8-lug dana 44 which i had too grind some too make them fit.Thanks.

2. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Hey Dan. You know where I am and you're always welcome to come buy and take a look. I think the D60 caliper/rotor is even larger than the D44.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods
    [​IMG]

3. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

Thanks Shawn will have too take you up on that one of these days if I can ever get some time.Hows the fuel injection going?

4. Shawn

Don't ask. The head shop had my new heads and FI manifold for a couple months. I did manage to do a "before" dyno run before the upgrade.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods
    [​IMG]

5. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

6. Shawn

Holley MPFI for BBC oval port. I think you have the same manifold and throttle body as mine. The oval ports didn't even come close to matching so I had them ported to match the heads. Was yours like this or do you have rectangle ports? I saw your install Squash and it was nice to see all the factory parts you used. Wish I would of saw that before I shelled the cash on the complete MPFI. This is configured through the laptop. I'm not looking foward to the install but it will be nice in the long run. I'm starting to have carb problems so its almost a must to get this on.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods
    [​IMG]

7. realsquash

I am in fact running the holley manifold. But mine is the rectangle port version, which matched my ports nicely (both unported). Actually, the price i've seen for the entire holley system is quite good. You could still run with all the parts you have except for the MAP sensor and maybe $5 temp sensors. You would have to get a chip burned, or learn to do it yourself! I gotta recommend that you use and in-tank pump instead of the external one. Trust me on this one, BTDT! I hope you still have the original tank-sender-thingymajob. Let me know if you have any trouble, i've got quite a bit of futzing/programming under my belt now...

p.s. I used to have a 4Di on a stock 454.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

8. Shawn

Thanks for the info. I still have most FI parts that came on the 87 which I might sell in the future. I still have the stock intank pump (disabled for now) which will be upgraded to a Walbro 255. Haven't touched the sender-thingymajob so I should be ok there.

What did you use for ignition? ESC? Stock HEI? I would like the ability to retard any knock and I'm not sure if the Holley system does this yet. Possibly Thinking about Electromotive distributeless ignition in the future but for now it has to be cheap.

How did you tune it? Didn't you have to work with the fuel map and adjust all the pulse widths? This is where it gets hard for me. I've worked with Accel Calmap software but not Holleys so I hope its easier.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry to get off the Dana 60 15" rim subject everyone.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods
    [​IMG]

9. realsquash

I am using a small-cap HEI that was found on 88+ trucks (I'm not sure about 87's) that has the remote-mounted coil. That is so much easier to work on with my big fingers. In my case, the ESC module is built into the ECM that i'm using so I don't need the box under the hood. I don't think you should do the electromotive system. Besides being expensive, you will gain very little and installation is more than I would want to do. I know the holley will control timing with or w/o ESC/knocksensor. I'm pretty sure it will also use the ESC stuff.

How'd I tune? I bought another chip for the GM ECM, replaced the EPROM with a socket, and got some extra EPROMS from a swap meet. I have an eprom burner and eraser ($150 total investment), and I used free software that is available on the internet (called WinBIN and Promedit, which required a little legwork to configure when I started). Also, www.tunercat.com and GMEPro are good commercial tools, tunercat is under $75. That takes care of programming. The next thing is datalogging, which you can do with freescan, diacom, aldlmon, and a few others.

There are over 230 individual settings/tables in the ECM i'm using. Way more capabilities than accel/holley/bg/etc. In order to do this, you have to spend some time learning. On a stockish engine, TPIS and other such can make you a good chip. More mine, a little more aggressive than stock, i had to learn, and still am learning.

Oh yeah, 15" rims--I think it's a dumb idea to try to run 15's on a D60. Especially if you bend one and can't turn the wheels. Try for 16"ers.

Squash

10. Shawn

Thanks! I'll take your advice and avoid the Electromotive. It's amazing to see whats out there for the computer equipped cars. Definitly takes more knowledge. So to tune it, you had to burn the chip and try it correct? If that fuel map or setting didn't work, you had to reburn the chip correct? Looks like I should start looking for ESC distributer since I think I lost my stock one.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods
    [​IMG]

11. realsquash

Yeah, look for a small-cap style with a remote coil. You'll have to fabricate a bracket for the coil, but I made one from 1"x8" steel plate (3/32" thickness) with 1"x1" angle iron on one end, bolted the *rear* of the driver's side head. It places the coil right next to the dissy.

Yeah, i'd have to burn a change, test, reburn, test, reburn. But it was not guess-n-check (well the first 10 were :)). GM does things pretty logically. If the ECM corrects 10%, you correct your tables 10% and it usually comes out great. You've just gotta do it for as much of the operating range as you can. Once you've got say 15 points done, you can begin to smooth out the maps, recheck, etc. I guarantee that my system runs way better than any aftermarket, and will continue to improve (because I'm anal about it and will keep trying things). At WOT, anything will do. Anything else, GM is best. And the ECU's were $15 at a swap meet :-)

Squash

12. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Realsquash what do you mean by datalogging. Is it showing you what the engine is doing and all that good stuff. What kind of datalogger is it?

Donovan