Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 and corp 14ff install issues?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by merace19, Nov 7, 2003.

1. merace19

merace19 1/2 ton status

Dana 60 and corp 14ff install?
    I am due to start the install of the dana 60 and corp 14 i will get out from underneth one of my m1008s. And install into my Blazer. What are the downfalls of doing the swap? like noticeable problems that cannt be helped due to weight or design of these heavy axles? reusing the driveshafts? stuff like that.

2. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

The D60 should bolt right up. Depending on what size springs you have..you may have to get new ubolts for the thicker spring pack. You'll use the spring plates from the original D60 and 14bff though...only the ubolts you have have to change out. If you have a 10bolt up front and already have extended brake lines...I believe the 10bolt lines will bolt right up to the D60 calipers as well/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The 14bff, you will have to remove and reweld the spring perches on the axle tubs as the spring perch under the M1008 has a different width than your Blazer.

Good luck!

3. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

I'd try and locate a pair of 3/4 ton spring plates for the 14B, the ones on the M1008 are different than the ones used on civ. K30s

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

In addition to what 90blzr said...

Both your original and the CUCV front driveshaft should bolt up, either way will simply be a question of length. For your rear shaft you will need to either use a conversion u-joint or modify it with a 1350 yoke at the rear axle (or upgrade the entire rear shaft with 1350 joints top & bottom), again length will play a factor.

As far as downfalls, the only thing I can imagine is the lost ground clearance between your original axles and the new stuff.

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Too add... is weight. The D60 and 14ff combo are much heavier than the old 10b. This extra weight will slow your truck down just a little if your motor isn't real strong. You are going from about roughly 500 to 600lbs of axle to over a 1,000lbs with the new combo. thats like hauling around an extra 500lbs all the time. when I went to 3/4ton with just an 8 lug 10b I couldn't really tell much of a difference bacause there is only around 200lbs difference from the 1/2ton stuff. D60's are heavy! fuel mileage might suffer just a little. Another thing is rim and tire choice. 16.5 and 16" rims are more expensive. Some guys run 8 lug 15's but you have to grind the calipers on the D60 to make them fit. 16.5 tires are usually a few dollars more than 15's and less choices on sizes with some companies, but not interco. Otherwise there is a HUGE list of benifets with the 1ton stuff! looking for a font 60 myself. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

And to also add...... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The shock mounts on the rear 14FF will need to be relocated to the oposite sides of the tubes. Take a look at the Blazer shock mounts and then the mounts on the 14FF. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

7. merace19

merace19 1/2 ton status

where would i be without all you great people? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. Someone told me i can move my rear spings out using the spring hangers off a M1008 and not have to cut and weld the spring perches. I know that may not work better for crawling on rocks but i run motly mud and washed out areas. and Tow with it. Main reason I am installing the lower gears. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think you mean move them in. I think the 1tons have a narrower rear section which is why the perches have to be moved out to fit the blazers. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. nvrenuf

You can use the hangers off of the M1008, you will need to use both the front and the rear. The K30/M1008 spring hangers are tucked in tighter to the frame to allow for the same frame on SRW & DRW applications. Since the springs will be closer to the frame you will also need to relocate your shock mounts on the inboard sides of the frame rails.

To be honest, when you consider the amount of rivots you'll have to cut off this seems like more work than moving the perches on the axle housing.

10. thatK30guy

What John said....

It's much easier to remove and relocate the spring perches and shock mounts rather than removing rivets and installing the spring hangers.

If the rear axle is an '85 or newer, it will be easier to remove the spring perches because they are a stamped steel perch. You can easily use either a sawz-all or a plasma cutter to get these off.
    If the axle is an '84 or older, it will be a solid cast perch and will require a grinder of some sort, mostly a 4.5" disc grinder, and a BFH (big focking hammer), to pound the perches loose once the welds have been ground down.

Hopefully you have an '85 or newer set of axles as these stamped steel perches are MUCH EASIER to remove. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I disagree with the moving perches thing. I think it's easier to just remove the spring mounts and do it that way. I am going to do that if I end up using a 1 ton rear axle.

12. thatK30guy

[ QUOTE ]
    I disagree with the moving perches thing. I think it's easier to just remove the spring mounts and do it that way. I am going to do that if I end up using a 1 ton rear axle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I disagree with you and will not try to make the job harder for someone who has never done this. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif You go right ahead and do whatever you want. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. thatK30guy

I forgot another thing:

You will find when you remove the hangers off the Blazer and try to install the hangers from the K30 to the K5, that the forward hangers WILL NOT work or fit the K5 because of the curvature of the frame rail and the K5 hangers are just as wide as the K30. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Doing such a swap would be a total waste of time since both K's are the same width. Gotta remember the K5 frame tapers outboard more around the t-case area. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Another thing: Why would you want to waste your time removing the hangers when you got to drop the fuel tank to get to the rearward hangers? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

14. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

What Wes said, and one more thing in favor of doing the perches is that you can rotate the pinon to the proper angle depending upon your lift and not use shims, of course some people like to do things the hard way.

15. nvrenuf

[ QUOTE ]

Another thing: Why would you want to waste your time removing the hangers when you got to drop the fuel tank to get to the rearward hangers? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Oooooo, good point! I completely forgot about the gas tank being in the way. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

16. merace19

merace19 1/2 ton status

thatK30guy
    You where right about the perches. I have a 85 and a 84. The 84 has solid block of cast metal for perch. The 85 is a stamped steel one. The 84 is welded all the was around. The 85 is only welded on the sides. Have you ever cut one of the cast blocks off? What would be the easiest way for a guy to do it that does not have a torch or plamsa cutter? Would it be easier to get it off anyway possible and buy some new stamped mounts? If so where do i get those mounts.

I see where i have to remove the shock mounts too, they are on the wrong side to match up with my blazer. But that does not look too hard to fix.
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I cut the cast block perches off my 14B and it was a pain. No torch or plas. Just a grinder and a couple hours to burn.

18. thatK30guy

[ QUOTE ]
    Have you ever cut one of the cast blocks off? What would be the easiest way for a guy to do it that does not have a torch or plamsa cutter? Would it be easier to get it off anyway possible and buy some new stamped mounts? If so where do i get those mounts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, removed my fair share of the cast perches by using a 4.5" disc grinder on the welds and a big focking hammer to pound the perches loose. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

You can do one of 3 methods of the perches. 1 would be to reuse the stock perch and reweld it. 2 would be to fabricate your own perch out of 2.5" square tubing. This method has been done by quite a few members and there is even a write-up on this by another member named Glenn whom goes by "deputy dog". Do a search on this and you should be able to find it. 3 would be to ask on this site for another member whom makes the perches out of solid steel stock and machines it down to fit the radius of the tubes. He also sets the heigth of the perch to whatever you desire so you won't have to use lift blocks if needed. These perches are BEEFY and very heavy. Quite possibly the strongest perches I've seen for the 14FF and any other axle. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

20. thatK30guy

I knew I had Glenn's username goofed as it's been a while he ever posted around here. Couldn't remember his username at all. BTW, thanks for the link, too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Now do you remember who fabricates those solid steel perches? I remember the thread and pics but can't remember the username at all. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif