Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 assembly ??'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Leadfoot, May 20, 2005.

1. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I bought 2 Yukon gear master install sets (p/n YK D60) as I'm swapping gears again. This is the first install on a D60 (previously 10bolt, 12bolts, 14bolts, and some sterling axles for Fords). My question is why does the kit come with crush sleeves (2 in each kit). I do not remember taking any out (just shims). Also on the top row of the attached pic (L to R) is carrier shims, pinion depth shims then the slinger. The first two items on the second row I don't know what they are. On the right in the middle is the crush sleeves. The bottom row is pinion preload shims, then what I think is the "washer/shim" that goes on after the bearing and just before the yoke (can anyone confirm) then the pinion nut. I'm a$$uming this is a universal kit, but wondering what would use the crush sleeves and what are those two dished discs???????
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    TIA

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

3. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Thanks, I actually have the whole thing printed out. It must be late because I don't see crush sleeves mentioned.

Also the item in the bottom middle picture I'm assuming is the "THRUSTWASHER - BEARING" going from the pic.

Are the two things I'm referring to listed as "SLINGER - END YOKE"???

Maybe it's just too late.

Also it looks as if it would go on the yoke itself (dust shield). If so why are 2 included as there is only one yoke........?

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I think there in there so you can just put a crush sleeve in there, instead of shims. I would just use the shims to set the preload, it might take more time, but thats what it came from the factory with, and unless you've crushed the sleeve properly, seated the bearings and set the preload correctly, you going to have trouble.

The dished disc goes in with the shims to set pinion depth.

The slinger is the BIG thick one, that goes between the puter pinion bearing and the seal.