Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 Axle truss

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ECNiz, Jul 10, 2002.

1. ECNiz

ECNiz Registered Member

Does anyone know of a good axle truss or have a good gusseting design for a front dana 60? Either bolt on or weld on. I like to jump my truck every once in awhile, and the last jump just broke my dana 44 housing into 2 pieces. I want to make sure that my dana 60 housing is strong since these are a little more expensive to replace.

Thanks,
    Erik

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hmmm, I don't think you really need a truss for a Dana60. You can check with Con-Ferr, they make one for a Dana44. Dana60 is perrty damn tuff!
    Good luck

3. ECNiz

ECNiz Registered Member

Well I really busted up my d44 housing last weekend in Pismo, and I would rather not take a chance with the 60 I'm putting in. http://66.189.139.150/pics/July_4_2002_Pismo

I was thinking of maybe welding some round tubing from one axletube to the other underneath the axle.

There sure was a lot of nice K5's out there this past weekend. At least 4 or 5 orange red ones like mine, one guy had a 468 in his. I need at least throw some paint on mine to make it look a little nicer /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

-Erik

4. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Hey that was my buddy Jacob's with the 468 /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif ! I was riding with my friend in his orange '72 jimmy (topless) and there were 2 orange/red '71/'72 K5's from Lompoc that we were talking with. Anyway, I feel your pain with the snapping of the axles, I am on my fourth rear axle /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif . The front 10 bolt has held up great with just a conn-ferr truss, but I can't find anything for a D60. On the rear I use a conn-ferr and a www.mo-offroad.com over the top truss and it is snap proof (knock on wood.) My friend just used a piece of rebar and welded it to each end of his front axle (where the tube meets the knuckle or whatever you call that) he just welded one end, bent the rebar around the diff and welded it to the diff, and then welded it to the other end of the axle. Holds up the weight of his big block on the whoop-d-do's. Another option for you would be to get some 2x6'' box tubing and cut it to go either under or over the housing (it is easiest to make a cardboard template first) although this method is much more time consuming. Good luck

5. ECNiz

ECNiz Registered Member

I was in an orange 72 with paddles on the back.

Friday night I popped one of my tubes on comp hill, so I tried heading back to camp right away....Got to the next hillside and I was totally flat and couldn't go anywhere...... Jacob stopped to see if I needed any help, but my friends were headed out to help me anyways. I ended up getting the tube fixed the next day, then first run out on saturday I busted up my axle.

That was one of the ideas I was thinking of using, a piece of tubing underneath welded to the axle tubes... I like the boxed in design, but I think that would be a lot harder to make. I wonder if anyone makes a weld-on kit?

-Erik

6. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

No one I know of makes any kind of boxed-in kit for anything other than a f**d 9'' /forums/images/icons/frown.gif . Maybe try a piece of 1/4'' plate stood on edge and cut to shape the same way the box tubing would be. At least that way you would only need one template not 2. Just throwing some ideas out there! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. ECNiz

ECNiz Registered Member

hmm....maybe I'll try box tubing or a plate....
    Right now I'm cleaning up the axle and replacing all the bearings and seals, probably get to the trussing in a week or so.

-Erik