Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 axleshaft u-joint

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dysphemism, Jun 17, 2002.

1. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

I put the dana 60 back together yesterday. It looks slick but the driver's side axleshaft is frozen and wont budge one way. I can move it on one of its axis' but not the other. I put wd-40 all over it, nothing. It looks like there is a way to inject grease into it, is that true? Any ideas how to unfreeze this guy? I don't even see how I could remove the u-joint. Any help would be awesome.

2. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

my passanger side was the same when i got mine----i just wheeled it a couple time and it moves freely---i do plan on changing it soon though just for peice of mind. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

/forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Sounds like a plan. The next time my u joints rust solid I'm gonna beat the crap out of my truck. Uh, maybe when I get my '60, I can pull stuff like that.

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

time to replace the joints.
    they are retained with inside snap rings.
    if these are the origonal OEM joints you will require a press to get them out, and there is a great chance you will bend the ears of the yoke.
    I did that and have heard several others admit the same thing.
    I would be tempted to find proper support blocks to allow you to put pressure in the correct spot when pressing.

if they have been changed before usually they arent as brutal to remove

5. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

ok so would this best be left to a pro? How good a chance does someone who has never done it before have of messing up? I have access to a press but I really dont want to damage anything.

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I dunno if 'pro' is required.
    the shafts arent really pricey if you do bend them a bit, I just took a grinder to mine to allow the snap ring to seat, I think stub shafts are in the less then $90usd area.
    if they have been previously changed they seem to be a real easy job, just the OEMs can be tight.
    I recommend using the new spicer spl55-4x greaseable replacement u joint to avoid this happening again