Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dana 60 brakes? *UPDATE* found problem, now new problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BranndonC, Apr 4, 2004.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

UPDATE
    Ok so i figured out why the pads wont stay, its because the rotor isnt sliding back far enough on the hub. I though this would be a simple fix.
    I took the rotor off, put onlt the seal on the back of the rotor and the bearings in the rear of the rotor on and slid it back on the hub..... still sticks out about an inch too far.
    next i put the seal on the rotor but no bearings (for testing only) and it slides back pleny
    last i just put the bearings in and no seal. Lo and behold, it is still 3/4 an inch to an inch off, but i know for a fact the bearings are seated as far back on the spindle as possible, so i dont get it. Anyone help? TIA

so i've almost got my truck back together, but after mounting the caliper to the rotor, the front/outside pad stays put just fine, but the rear/back pad is loose, all sloppy, i even had someone apply pressure while i held the pad in place, thinking it just needed some tension, but once the brakes were off, it was loose again. Any pointers? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

Re: dana 60 brakes? rear pad seems loose wont stay in place?

i got this info from someone...
    [ QUOTE ]
    it should have little tin / metal clips for the pads, im not sure if your had the ones that go sideways across or clip on at the ends beetween the tiny ears tho... shouldn't be that hard to find.

[/ QUOTE ]

anyone? i want to drive this thing today /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

3. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

on bottom of that pad there is a retainer clip holding it in there. The clip comes in a brake hardware kit from napa. The kit is only like $6 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    it should have little tin / metal clips for the pads, im not sure if your had the ones that go sideways across or clip on at the ends beetween the tiny ears tho... shouldn't be that hard to find.

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif now i have no name /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

5. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif now i have no name /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    i leave names out so if someone "flames" my friends knowledge they dont get shamed in front of all ck5.. lol

6. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

TTT come on. anyone? i cant get my truck together till i get this fixed, and with out ck5 i have no way of knowing how to fix it /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

7. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Are you sure the bearing is sliding all the way on unrestricted? Try taking both the inner and outer bearings out of the hub and sliding them on by themselves to see if they are binding at all, they should slide almost all the way to the end of the spindle.

8. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

yes the inner binds a bit, but i've slid it all the way up the spindle, then put the rotor on over it and its still not back far enough
    Thanks
    Branndon

9. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Hmmm, maybe take some light emory cloth and smooth out the surface where the bearing rides. There may be some little metal pieces causing the bearings to bind as you slide them on. Also how are you tightening the bearing preload nut down? I hope your using a socket and wrench.

10. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Also how are you tightening the bearing preload nut down? I hope your using a socket and wrench.

[/ QUOTE ]
    huh? spindle nut?

11. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

You know, the big round thing that hold the bearings in. You have to take it out to get the roter/hub assembly off.

12. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You know, the big round thing that hold the bearings in. You have to take it out to get the roter/hub assembly off.

[/ QUOTE ]
    which # is it here... 68 right?

13. uglychevyZZ4

[ QUOTE ]
    yes the inner binds a bit, but i've slid it all the way up the spindle, then put the rotor on over it and its still not back far enough
    Thanks
    Branndon

[/ QUOTE ]
    wtf /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif well dosent the bearing go iNSIDE the rotor in the back /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif is that yer problem? and also, make sure yer bearing race isnt outta place or waller'd out and falling out of its bottomed out home /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif and as far as the pads, did you get the clips? are they on? is that fixed now?

14. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

no i looked in a book (haynes?) and it didnt show the clip anywhere. I found out how its held in, i just need to get the rotor to mount up correctly
    and as far as the bearing, yeah i've tried it about 10 ways, one including bearing mounted in the rotor before i slid it on

15. uglychevyZZ4

i dont care what the book says, it needs a clip for some sort of resistance oe itll just flop around, books dont show everything, hell, mine leaves out the fact that masters require bench bleeding /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif or that there is even a sequence /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif