Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 caliper grind questions.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GREASEMONKEY, Sep 16, 2003.

1. GREASEMONKEY

GREASEMONKEY Registered Member

The dana 60 and 14 bolt are almost ready to put in the blazer. I'm now thinking about what rims and tires I want to put on it. I would like to keep a 15 inch rim (tire price and safety bead), but I'm not sure how grinding the calipers affects the daily driver status? I have seen websites where people have done this, but they were mostly trail trucks... not many street miles. Has anybody done this and put some decent street miles after the mod? Should I go with a certain offset wheel to minimize the amount of grinding? I dont want sooo much offset that the wheels stick out lowrider style /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

thanks
    -Nigel

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Go with a 3.25 max backspacing as well as a fairly narrow rim, that combination will minimze the grinding but keep the tires tucked in somewhat. </font>

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

i have put on about 3000 miles since i've ground mine, including 1000 this past weekend alone. I ground them down about 2 months ago and it is a DD. I have noticed no ill effects, although I had the same concerns as you. When I got the truck from the previous owner, it had 15x10" wheels with a 3.5" backspacing and was pre-ground. This grind was not that extreme. I switched to 15x8 with 4.25" BS and spent the better part of an afternoon re-grinding them down. I went so far that I had to modify the springs that hold the calipers in place. This brought on some concerns, but so far, so good. I would recommend less than 4.25" BS, but I think i've proven that even that can be done.

4. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

Just did one the other day. Used normal backspacing, a small .25" spacer and ground til it fit. I have been running the same setup for over 5 years both as a dailey driver and now a trail rig.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Wow, my wheels are 15x10 and 4.25" backspacing. I ground the hell out of my 10 bolt to make them fit...I'm really dreading my '60.

My truck is definitely not trail only and I've driven it all over with ground calipers and 15x10s on my 10 bolt front. I'm swapping my '60 in probably this winter.

6. La Barge

La Barge Registered Member

i run 15x8 with 2.75" backspacing and 37's. i had to grind just the outer corner it took about 1 minute per side. i drive 100-150 miles a day with it.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i run US Wheel 75s onroad... 15x8, 4.25" of backspacing with a 35x12.5x5 wrapped around em. It takes quite a while to grind the d60 calipers down, but its really not THAT big a deal... just time consuming. One thing to remember is, you should install new brake pads before you do the grinding.. because as the pads wear the caliper moves towards the rotor more and more. If you're using an old pad, and grind to fit... then someday when you rebuild your brakes and put new ones on, your rims wont fit anymore... not good. Anyway, 1-ton calipers are hella beefy.. I dont see any problem with this kind of mod, so long as you dont grind more than you have too.

j