Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 caliper Grinding

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandawgk5, Dec 18, 2005.

1. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I said I would post up when I got my calipers ground for my 60 and let ya'll know my experiences. I did a lot of reading on here first and studied the pictures so I "thought" I knew roughly how much to take off, well I didn't. The first side took me 3 hours with a 4.5" grinder. Rims are 15X8 with 4.25 backspacing so I did have to grind alot. After the first side I had a better idea of how much to take off and also a new 24grit grinding wheel:D . That side only took 1 hour. I know it is worthless without pics but the axles are not at my house and I can not seem to find my camera:doah: . All in all I do not see the "fear" or concern with grinding Dana 60 calipers there is still approx 5/8 to 11/16" material in the body of the caliper and it did not really take that long at all. The only thing I do not like about the whole affair is that my hands still have a tingly feeling from holding on to that damn grinder for 4 hours. And another note wash your hands before rubbing your eyes. I got to spend 7 hours in the ER and have to go today to get my Cornea scrub due to rust from the metal dust:doah: . I will try and get pics when we do the install of the front and rear this week for all who are interested.

Ira

2. HELLBENT DESIGNS

HELLBENT DESIGNS 1/2 ton status

:haha: :haha: :haha: black boogers too! :D went through the same thing (except the cornea scrub) after doing the drivers side first i realized the grinding/checking for fit procedure, 25 times? is much easier with a stock tire/rim than a 39.5 irok with a steel beadlock:doah: what a dumba$$ i was:D

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Ya I am still getting black **** out of my nose:haha: . I purposely have held off on getting my tires mounted for this reason. I had a bare rim that I did my fitting with. The Cornea "Boring" was kinda kewl but it sucks now. He numbed my eye and used a little hobby grinder kinda like a medical Dremel and "ground" the rust out of my eye. It feels worse now than it did with the metal in it but it should be fine by tomorrow morning. Now gotta mount the 37s and put the Balance Beads in:D .

Ira

4. aduff85k5

aduff85k5 Registered Member

hey your puting together the same system that i want to, with the exception of the dana 60 calipers. i've go the corp 10 up there and want rims of 15x8 with the same back spacing. is that pretty much standard for the 15x8 and do you think i'll have any trounle with the TRE hitting the rim. i/ve got 39.5x18x15 on a 15x14 rim now but want to go to a smaller wheel and tire. tell me what your set up is again? how about the 15 bolt will the drums have a prob witht he back spacing. and pix would be great. by the way sorry to hear about yer eye. i work in an emergency department and really feel for those who come in with eye inj. probably one of the most aggravating you can get.

5. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

When it is done (hopefully in a week before the new year) it will be dana 60 front open 14FF rear detroited DIY shackle flip for 5" lift with 56s 4" front springs ford cast shock towers with 15" procomps. Tires and wheels are 15X8 8 lug wagon wheels from summit with 4.25 backspacing tires are 37X12.5X15 Goodyear MTRs. My axle gearing sucks at 4.10 but I do not have the cash for the 5.13s yet.

As for your set up I do not know as I am running stock rims with 31s on my 10 bolts. I will be in Pensacola from 10April to 12May if you want to take a look at it:D . I know it is a ways away but I will be lookin to do some wheelin while I am down there.

Oh ya it is the stock 1987 350 TBI 700R4 208.

Ira

6. 84zz4ss

84zz4ss 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Not to hijack but more details for your P-cola trip. Let's try to get some trucks together.

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I start Officer Indoc School on NAS Pensacola on 10April and I will be there until 12May. School is Monday through Friday weekends are my own. My brother lives just across the line in Alabama and he has a Heep he might be interested in playing also. I don't know what kind of wheelin there is down there. I am not a big fan of mud cause I do not wash the truck but we will see when I get down there. Growing up in FL I do know there aint much rock to found:D .

Ira