Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 caliper install - help!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by scrappy88, Sep 7, 2003.

1. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

When I bought my D60 it didn't come with calipers, so I had to buy new ones. And because I didn't take them off the axle, I don't know how they go back on. There's a tension spring and a small clip that came with the new calipers and I don't know where they go.. Anyone know where these go? Thanks!

2. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I just had a hell o a time figuring out the calipers myself. Did the new caliper come with a small allen screw? You'll need that. On the bottom part of the caliper bracket there is a hole that that screw goes in. Hold the caliper in place and slide the tension spring and clip into the notch between the caliper and the bracet on the bottom. You'll probably have to tap it in with hammer. Also, put the inner brake pad into the notches in the caliper bracket before ya try to put the caliper on. Only the outter pad stays in the caliper when ya install it. Damn...I hope that makes sense. If I were you, my brain would go into meltdown after reading that.......Anyone else? Pictures maybe? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. Zeus33rd

You can kinda see the thing I'm talkin about at the very bottom of the left side caliper in this picture..
    [​IMG]

Shitty quality pic I know.....If it were daylight, I'd go snap ya a good one.

4. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

Yeah that helps, thanks! I figured out how it goes on and the allen screw. Here's a pic:

[​IMG]

So the tension spring slides in along with that other piece? What about the small clip? I'm not sure where that goes.

5. Zeus33rd

Well I'm glad you understood my mumblings....I almost confused myself. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

That little clip.....I have no idea. Perhaps it's to hold one of the pads in place? It also kinda looks like one of the little squeaker things that lets ya know when your pads are wearing out by riding on the rotor. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

6. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

Oh, just saw the pics of your D60 finished, nice!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Zeus33rd

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh, just saw the pics of your D60 finished, nice!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Although I didn't really do much to it. Just some maintenance things. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    That little clip.....I have no idea. Perhaps it's to hold one of the pads in place?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo. It clips onto the end of the inboard brake pad to prevent it from rattling around. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

I checked and the inner pad has a small bracket where that clip attaches to. Thanks all, now I can put these things on! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif