Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 caliper loose?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by madmike, Sep 6, 2002.

1. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

I am installing a Dana 60 in my '80 K10. I was installing the calipers and pads, and I slid the flat plate/clip in at the bottom, and installed the single 5/16 allen head screw. There seems to be a lot of play between the grooves machined in the caliper and the lugs on the part the caliper mounts too.

One of the calipers is from Auto Zone, one from Advance Auto Parts, they both appear to be about the same quality wise. I had to pretty much beat the original ones off (which means they weren't loose like the new ones), and they were beyond salvage.

The Advance caliper came with a slip of paper, talking about measuring clearances between the grooves I've already mentioned, and mentions installing oversized keys. I think that is what the plate with the 5/16 bolt in it is.

Have any of you had any experience with this? Ever need to get these over size keys? Where'd ya gettem? I'm not sure if Advance would sell the keys, they seem like a GM part. Yinz have been helpful before, I'd appreciate some advice. (Not gonna get rid of the D60!)

2. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

you didnt mention the spring clip in your install list?
    lemme see if I have a image...

3. BXwildshot

BXwildshot Registered Member

I'm rebuilding that area myself and would appreciate an exploded view or something myself.

Thanks

4. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

After I had my hubs turned down, I reused my calipers and I seem to have some play in the pads. They move front to back about 1/8". Does anyone have any thoughts on this as well.
    Brett

5. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

There is a spring clip that needs to be installed, and the key can be purchased is several sizes to take out the play.

6. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

The spring clips went back in. Had to tap the springs and plates in together, very snug. Reused all the parts, nothing was replaced.

7. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

are you actually talking about the caliper itself or the brake pads?my new calipers on my dana 44 came with different size bushings to make the caliper not be loose.i got it from national auto parts.i dont know about the 60 but it should have came with some kind of bushing i would think to help align and tighten the caliper.like others said.there should also be a spring inside the caliper to push the brake pads together so no rattle.

8. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

The pads are tight against the rotors, but they can move front to back (rotationally) withing the calipers.

9. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

MJ, I did install the spring clip, I forgot to mention that in my post. There still seems to be excessive play. Derf00, one of the caliper kits did mention oversize keys, I haven't had a chance to go back to the parts store yet, but it seems unlikely they would carry them. Where did you get yours? Thanks!

10. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Mine did not require the oversized key, but they are apparently available, you may have to order them.

11. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

i think that is normal movement,
    I thought you were refering to the caliper moving

12. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

Well, before I buy anything, I think I'm going to go ahead and bleed the brakes, to get the pistons pumped out and a little pressure on the pads (drivable). Then I'll see if the clearances/movement are excessive or not, and if it drives well, I won't worry about it. It just seems pretty excessive at this point...