Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 cross shaft pin - how far to install?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TX Mudder, Aug 4, 2003.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I installed the lockrite in my 4.56+ Dana 60 carrier. Everything went pretty smooth since I started with a bare carrier.
    How deep am I supposed to install the cross shaft pin? I managed to drive it in so it was about in the middle as far as I could tell. The end was still sticking out of the carrier about 1/4 inch and it is pretty deformed, so I don't think I could get it in any farther. Is this OK?

Also, how in the heck do you get one of the pins out? If I need to disassemble this in the future, how do I drive the pin out without deforming in in the hole and making it stay there forever?

-- Mike

2. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

There should be a set screw that holds the pin in... is there?

To get it out, use a screw driver and a hammer... be careful.

3. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I assume that you are talking about the roll pin that holds the center pin in the diff . Always use a new one if there is a question about it staying in place . It is held in by tension so Lock-tite should not be needed .
    As far as how far to set it , I always measure the roll pin and make sure that I have both ends sticking in the diff on each side of the pin equally . A center punch with a long nose on it usually works good to extract and install the roll pin.HTH , Tom

4. Aquaman

Aquaman 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I assume that you are talking about the roll pin that holds the center pin in the diff . Always use a new one if there is a question about it staying in place . It is held in by tension so Lock-tite should not be needed .
    As far as how far to set it , I always measure the roll pin and make sure that I have both ends sticking in the diff on each side of the pin equally . A center punch with a long nose on it usually works good to extract and install the roll pin.HTH , Tom

[/ QUOTE ]Evidently I'm talking about something totally different /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif