Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 crossover issue

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by mouse, Jan 30, 2006.

1. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I just installed the dana 60 crossover kit, but am having issues with the steering throw. Before playing with the draglink adjustment (I assumed the TR adjustment was fine, toe in is around 1/8 inch), I have good throw to the right, but to the left the axle would max out before the steering box did - resulting in the steering attempting to move the frame (and I don't want that). Steering stops are still OEM (welded). After lengthening the draglink I got the throw to work OK left, but then had too much to the right. A little more adjustment ended with too much throw left and right.

When I bought the kit, I did not order a pitman arm. I bought one from a fellow here. Its an ORD arm and Stephen verified his order was for a dana 60.

Can I just adjust the stops to eliminate the excess movement from the steering box?

2. Roastall4

Roastall4 Newbie

Yes but not too much. Why? Your axles are strogest when your wheels are stright. The more you turn them the weaker they get. Then you have to make sure you wont hit your springs and stuff like that. And I know ORD Makes their Pass side arm drilled For the High Steer. You sure you have it in the right hole? It Sould be the one furthast out.

3. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Yup, got it in the front hole. With the current adjustment, I don't think it will take much to reset the stops. My concern are exactly as you state - u-joints and tire clearance. But trusting the engineering to be correct, I should be OK.

Is there anyway to double check that I am using the correct pitman arm?

BTW, the drivers side stop is slightly bent. This has me thinking that the factory stop settings might be the culprit.

The current adjustment on the draglink has a total of 16 threads showing (both sides added together). When I first assembled it I had 4 threads showing per side (steering whell straight ahead, tires pointed straight).

4. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

I guess I'm a little confused. The steering box shouldn't max out anywhere. When you said "axle would max out" do you mean the tires were hitting the frame or springs and that was pushing the axle? Or were they simply hitting the stops. The steering stops should hit before anything else does of course.

I'd recommend diconnecting the drag link, then setting your steering wheel straight and verify the pitman arm is pointing straight. I wonder if you are setting it up one steering wheel turn to the left or right. Then ensure the toe is set correctly with the tie rod (which you said it was) and that the wheels are also pointed straight. Then adjust the drag link to fit fit perfectly between the pitman arm and steering arm. Only fine tuning should be needed after that.

But maybe I'm misunderstanding the post.:o

5. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Yes, axle is hitting the stops, but the steering box wants to turn more (to the left with the drag link centered as you describe, and how I installed it).

Called ORD today, and they basically told me that it is designed to do that while the axle is on jack stands. When the weight of the truck is on the wheels, things should be different.

I'll check it out.

6. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

AH! Yes. The truck needs to be at regular ride height when setting everything up.

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

also did you make sure the box was dead middle of the rotation when you installed the input shaft to the box from the colom. if off 1 spline or so might give you problems.

8. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I didn't swap sector shafts, just replaced the entire box. The rag joint will only go on one way, and the pitman arm is indexed every 90* - but yes, originally everything lined up until I started shortening/lengthening the draglink to get the left turn issue worked out.

Last night I put the truck on foiur wheels after lengthening the draglink to +4 turns. On the ground, with this setup I cannot achieve full left turn (right is OK). This validates Stephens comments on the phone. I'll set it back to the centered setup, an I think it should be OK.:bow:

Now I gotta fix the dragging brakes (hydroboost air bubbles) and poor idle (just converted to TBI - probably vacuum leak). So many little things...