Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 crossover issue

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mouse, Jan 30, 2006.

1. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Also posted in ORD forum:

I just installed the dana 60 crossover kit, but am having issues with the steering throw. Before playing with the draglink adjustment (I assumed the TR adjustment was fine, toe in is around 1/8 inch), I have good throw to the right, but to the left the axle would max out before the steering box did - resulting in the steering attempting to move the frame (and I don't want that). Steering stops are still OEM (welded). After lengthening the draglink I got the throw to work OK left, but then had too much to the right. A little more adjustment ended with too much throw left and right.

When I bought the kit, I did not order a pitman arm. I bought one from a fellow here. Its an ORD arm and Stephen verified his order was for a dana 60. Although if the arm were too long, I could see this problem happening.

Can I just adjust the stops to eliminate the excess movement from the steering box?

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

what hole on the steering arm did you use? you have to use the far one otherwise you will have to much steer side to side (if using the close hole)

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Are you suggesting he put it in the wrong hole? :D

Rene

4. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Used the one to the front (yes, I did read the instructions :wink1: ). I also want to add that when I removed the passenger stop, the axle would turn to the point where the end of the steering stabilizer would hit the stop on the drivers side, but not make contact between the passenger knuckle and inner C.

With the adjustment I left on it last, it probably wont take much adjustment out of the stops to have it work properly. But the question then is it too much, will I damage the axle u-joints or have tire contact with the springs?

5. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Called ORD today, and they basically told me that it is designed to do that while the axle is on jack stands. When the weight of the truck is on the wheels, things should be different.

We discussed many of the dynamics involved. My axle is close to perfect steering (just a tiny bit extra) while on the stands, but should be fine with tires on the ground.