Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 CrossOver setup Availablility

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by DPI, Jun 22, 2001.

1. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Stephen,
    When do you see your crossover setup being available to the market? Also, do you have a selling price yet?
    Thanks
    dp

4.56 Geared, Power Locked, Dana 60
    4.56 Geared, TSM Disc Braked, Detroit Locked, Corporate 14

2. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Stephen can verify but when I talked to him yesterday & placed my order; he told me he hoped to have the materials delivered today & the parts should be ready by late next week (optimistically) or early the following week!
    Estimated (??) prices just before TTC were $180 for arm; $70 for the draglink & approx. $70 for the pitman arm.

Hope this helps in case Stephen doesn't get a chance to reply soon.

Brian
    89KBlazer

3. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the information. I am looking at doing this very soon and I hope to get everything from ORD, except the 2wd box. Do you have to re-do the crossmember with his set-up?

4. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Yes & No!! [​IMG]

When I last talked to Stephen, he was tossing around the idea of a slightly bent drag link to clear the cross-member vs. a straight one. The issue from what he told me is the bending of the drag link; not his preferred method. I'll be getting a straight one from him because I'll be building my own frame & will ensure that the engine cross-member is NOT an issue.
    On a stock set-up though, something needs to be done so it's either modify/replace the engine cross-member or bend the draglink.

Again, didn't mean to butt in Stephen, but just relaying what I got from Stephen himself.

Brian
    89KBlazer

5. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

You don't need to bend or modify anything, just put enough lift under the thing!!! On both my 10" lifted dually, and 12" lifted one ton Suburban, I am using a straight drag link and have lots of clearance!! LOL!!

ken

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would be interested in the setup if it didn't require crossmember movement. I refuse to hack up my frame and I don't have a welder or a welder (a person or the machine and I don't trust myself that much) so unless it can be done any other way, I'm sticking with front-to-back steering no matter how big I lift my truck.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

7. Ryeguy

Ryeguy 1/2 ton status

What about using F@rd cross-over steering parts? Simple enough design, where the drag link attaches to the tie rod on the passenger side. You get enough angle on the drag link to clear the crossmember, but that will induce some bump-steer. Run a panhard rod to clear up the bump steer.

--Rob

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I don't know, it might work. The Ford pumpkin in on the other side though. I'll have to look at my friend's '79 F150 sometime. I'm pretty sure if it was possible someone would have done it a long time ago.

Tim

9. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Hey 84_Chev,

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.zing.com/picture/p0cecfd13d537baeb13d8d8d7ffba0043/fe771385.jpg.orig.jpg>http://www.zing.com/picture/p0cecfd13d537baeb13d8d8d7ffba0043/fe771385.jpg.orig.jpg</A>

Crossover steering with no crossmember mods, no welding, no nothing, just bolting. And only 5" of lift I have.
    Boss

89' 1 TON of FUN K5

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Hmm, looks good. Did you make it? I love the paint job on the axle too!

Tim

11. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

84_Chevy_K10,
    Thanks for your compliments.
    Check your PM
    Boss

89' 1 TON of FUN K5

12. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

to address some questions here:
    I prefer a straight draglink, but it can cause problems on short lifts, or anything with a lot of vertical travel. We are building the arms with correct angles in them to run with minimum bends, so whatever bend we do will be for clearance.

We are also looking at using a bent draglink. I don't like it, but we'll test one to make sure of the deflection and it may be just the ticket for clearance.

You can't run a ford style setup on a GM due to having to drop below the leaf spring. It throws a huge angle on the draglink, and makes it shorter since it won't go all the way to the knuckle. This translates into huge bumpsteer. Trying to put a track bar on it won't do anything but bind it up to where it won't move at all. Been there, tried it with a better engineered system than ford, and it didn't work to our satisfaction.
    There is the option of running the tie rod on top if the clearances will work out, but there are clearance issues, and the problem of the shorter draglink. And a track bar still won't work.

Looks like our kit will be the steering arm for the knuckle, studs and nuts to bolt it on, pitman arm to match your application, and a draglink.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [image]http://coloradok5.com/logo_ordsmall.gif[/image]
    SW-ORD

13. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

When will it be available?