Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dana 60-dana 44

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AmericanFreak, Mar 17, 2002.

1. AmericanFreak

AmericanFreak Registered Member

Alright i bought a parts truck with a FF14 bolt rear, and an 8 lug axle in the front how can you tell the difference between the 2 (Dana 60 Dana 44 HD) Neither of the diffs have the tags on them so i have no idea. all i know its it has 16.5 rims if that helps Thanks

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Here you go <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/axleguide.shtml>http://coloradok5.com/axleguide.shtml</a>...Dan

3. AmericanFreak

thanks man im almost possitive its a dana 60 but i just want to double check though

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

If it is a 60 it will be a 1 ton truck unless it was swapped in. Easy way to tell a 60 is it will only have 3 u bolts and then 2 studs with nuts on them in the pumkin on the passenger side.

5. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

The dana 44 has a U shaped steering arm and bolts into place with 3 bolts. The dana 60 has a square block with a curved down arm and bolts in with 4 bolts.

d60 http://coloradok5.com/boyce/boycehub.jpg

6. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Did you look at it? what is it? just curious

7. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

Im wondering the same thing!

anyways those are all good ways to ID the axles.. my personal favorites are:

if you have had one of the axles before, you will instantly know its not the same thing if you see the other one /forums/images/icons/smile.gif the 60 dwarfs the 44.. there is really no question..

if it comes down to it, just look at the axle tube webbing. the lower drivers side one, it will say either 44 or 60. dont get much easier than that

mike

8. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I see your a fellow Pa wheeler. I am in Gettysburg and get down close to Reading(sp) often.

9. AmericanFreak

i still havnt gone and look cause the truck is not at my house. Anyway mighty mouse you want to go wheeling with me and my buds sometime over the summer myone friend has a 79 ford with a 6 inch lift the other one has a 97 TJ with a ford 8.8 4:88 gears and 35s, another has a 00 TJ with a 4inch lift and 33s and my other friends just beat there stock trucks

10. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Sure, let me know when. I am planning an event at Paragon Adventure Park up in Hazleton for August 10th and 11th so keep it in mind and let your friends know about it too. This is being planned as a charity event. I have the weekend reserved already and TNT offroad club will be there from up north that weekend too. I am also looking for places to wheel in the area. I used to go up to Pine Grove alot but from what I heard they closed all those trails down.

11. AmericanFreak

that sounds good i took my 67 jeep up to paragon for the Relief ride and i liked it. We also go to shamokin and centralia alot.