Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 DRW to SRW

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SmokinLB7, Apr 6, 2007.

1. SmokinLB7

SmokinLB7 1/2 ton status

How hard is it to convert a DRW Dana 60 in to a SRW? What is the differance anyways? Can you not run a regular rim on a DRW, or is it shorter or what is the differance?

Thanks fellas,
    Zach

2. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

This is a 60 dually front hub.[​IMG]

Yes you can physically put any 8 on 6.5 wheel on there but depending on the back spacing of the wheel it's gonna stick out big time and look kinda funny.

The difference is where the mounting surface is located. This should clear it up for you. You know how the front wheels on dually trucks look different- stick out wider then the tire? The purpose is so they only have to carry one spare tire/wheel. That tire can be bolted up in a dually rear assembly or a front. Hope that answers your questions.

3. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

if you can take the lugnuts off, you can swap hubs. just get a set of SRW hubs, take the DRW hubs off and bolt on the SRW hubs. you will need a hub socket, you can get them almost anywhere. they are worth buying, not borrowing. snap ring pliers and some assorted sockets/wrenches.

4. SmokinLB7

SmokinLB7 1/2 ton status

Thanks, that was really helpfull. I always wondered why they made them like that...and now I do.

5. SmokinLB7

SmokinLB7 1/2 ton status

Thanks for your help! So is it expensive to do? Is it even worth it or should I just wait for a SRW?

6. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Try GM Parts Direct. This link should be for the D60 SRW hub & rotor w/studs for $119.31 ea. Try a search of your own to verify.
    part#15635530

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com
    Shipping will prolly be a lil bit but this is THE CHEAPEST I have ever seen 60 hubs by a long shot.

All the internals are the same.

7. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

thats cheap. I work at a dealership and the cheapest I can get them for is $160 a side.

8. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

You gonnna lower you price on the repair jobs now? HEHE!

9. GMCJason

GMCJason 1/2 ton status

Shipping is $80.00 for 2.:eek1: This is what I'll be doing soon.

10. SmokinLB7

SmokinLB7 1/2 ton status

This might not be a bad way to go. How much further would the tires stick out if I just left it alone and got a standard wheel? Looks are not super important to me seeing as how it is not much too look at now either!

Thanks again for your guys help

11. SmokinLB7

SmokinLB7 1/2 ton status

LONGMONT!!!!!!! When you do it will let me know how involved it is and maybe let me borrow your tools. I am in college right now and dont really want to have that stuff laying around because i know this will be the only time i use it. I will throw some beer in to sweeten the deal?

12. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Well, considering that duallys are like 77" WMS (wheel mounting surface) to WMS. and you put a set of 4.5" back spaced 8" wide wheels on there- man you are gonna get lots of questions and goofy looks, but if you did you would be approx 84" at the outter edge of the rims. and your rear would be pretty well tucked under the body. You'd deffinately get some looks.

13. GMCJason

GMCJason 1/2 ton status

From what I found here the DRW hubs are 4-5" wider on each side, so the width of the front would be about 8-10" wider than a SRW.

Another option people use are Hummer wheels, not the H2 wheels but the military H1 guys. You should be able find some info on them here somewhere.

I'll let you know how it goes. I understand how college works - your lucky just to have some parts let alone tools to use to install. I need to order my stuff and get going or the summer will be over.

14. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

BTW- given your status in life right now you should be aware that once you go 60 there are other things that come up. Steering sucks is one thing and it's $$$ to cure that problem, Upgrading your MC to a 1 ton is another, removing your prop valve (straight plumb) may be necessary to get those huge calipers moving. Not to mention the possibility of death wobble showing up. If you ain't hardcore then leave it for now. It'll be cheaper and easier to fix broken shafts for a while then to handle the problems that can appear swapping to a 60. It sounds like you don't expect to be inside the axle very much- You really need to repack the front bearings I'd say at least once a year. More often if you run mud. Buy the $20 socket and keep it around.

15. SmokinLB7

SmokinLB7 1/2 ton status

HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!:haha: Alright, well then that would be pretty bad. I was just curious to see if i didnt REALLY have to deal with it, but i guess its a good idea. I found a dually K30 at a junk yard and hopefully the guy does not know what a Dana 60 is (i know, it is his job to know, but you never know!)

16. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

I'm running HV wheels on mine now. If you wanna look at that option then we have to talk about your rear axle. I'm running a van width 14 bolt which are 3" wider then pick up or suburban axles. Without recentering the rims my rear wheels look like like they are positioned like any other typical chevy running a 4.5" BS wheel. I still want 2 - 3" spacers though cuz as I go taller in tire size it will start hitting the inner fender well- not good. Pic of mine
    [​IMG]

The best way to get the best of both worlds is to run a Dana 70 rear. But I got this housing for free as well as the install and I had the Detroit and discs on all ready. Too much bs to swap around to get a 70 in there when spacers will solve my probs.

17. SmokinLB7

SmokinLB7 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the heads up, lucky for me this is not my daily driver (dont worry, I know how lucky I am.) In fact the only reason that I am getting to do this is because my step dad knew that I wanted to do a project, and one day came up to me and asked me if I was willing to split the cost down the middle.

But anyways, I guess i will be getting the socket then. Just curious, what is MC? You guys are probably gettig he picture that axles are not my most knowlegable subject.

Thanks,
    Zach

18. SmokinLB7

SmokinLB7 1/2 ton status

Mudstud-YOUR TRUCK IS FREAKIN SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK!!!!! I just found the truck that i want mine to be like!! I really like it. A LOT

I have found a 14 bolt rear that I was thinking about using. So thats knocked out, i am having a really hard time finding a dana 60 though.

19. GMCJason

GMCJason 1/2 ton status

MC would be Master Cylinder in the braking system.

OK, Zach, what's YOUR truck? What's all this going on?

20. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

MC is master cylinder and yes you are in a good position to build the piss outta yours. Thanks for the compliments but there are SOOOO many so much more built then mine. Headin out for the weekend. Might check thsi thread at some point this weekend. L8TR

Dan