Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 ff rear axle?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by grtwhite, Jun 28, 2002.

1. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

Anyone running this in the rear of there Blazer? I think I've located one of these axles out of an older ford truck which is pressently used as a trailer. Would like to know what is involed in swapping this axle into my 88 Blazer? I'm guessing that I'll have to relocate the shock mounts &amp; spring preachers and get some type of hybrid u-joint. Any info from someone who's done this swap would be greatly appreaciated. Thanks!! <font color="blue"> </font color>

2. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

Anyone?????

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

You failed to mention if this D60 rear is out of a 1/2 or 3/4 ton.

Some of the older Ford 1/2 tons had factory 5-lug D60 rears.

I would not think about using any Ford rear as most of them had something like 16 splines on the shafts. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Why not try and find a 14FF instead? These are stronger than the D60 rears due to the ring gear diameter size and the 30 spline shafts. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

Its out of a 3/4 ton Ford with 8 bolt lug patern. Thought I might go with a Dana 60 &amp; save myself some weight &amp; ground clearance. Probably go with 35's just wanted to ungrade to FF &amp; have some strength out back. Didn't want to have to beef up a 10 or 12 bolt, and thought a 14 blt ff might be overkill.

5. thatK30guy

You could still use this Ford rear, but if I were you, I would upgrade to a new locker of some kind with 35 splines and have some new 35 spline shafts made for it, too. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

6. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

Any idea on a ballpark figure for some 35 spline axles shafts? What all would be needed to makem fit? Thanks!!!

7. thatK30guy

I know Moser Engineering makes/sells them for around $300 a pair. Not bad price at all considering they are alloy shafts. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

8. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">Watch out for those ford D60's. They were 63" (4" narrower than a 14ff, 6" narrower than the front /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif ), and up until 76 they were 16 spline (crap). Ask me how I know all this /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif . I think the 80s Dodge rears were the right width. I will check a newer body style at work the next time theres one with the wheels off.

9. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

You might want to try a dana 70, certain years of these came stock with 35 spline axles and certain ones came with on open diff that will use a detriot locker like a 14 bolt does. And you can go alot lower than 5.13's. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Just a thought. I'm curently in the process of building one and stuffing it with 5.87's and a lincoln locker ( its for trail use only).

10. grtwhite

grtwhite 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info guys! I think I'm gonna opt against getting one out of a ford. Narrow &amp; weak are not good things. Biggray71 let me know what u find out at work send me a PM if you like.

11. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

A rear D60 is a good axle but most of what you will find probably have 1.31" / 30 spline axles. Wes is right, the 35 spline replacements are only about $300 but they may not fit the housing. Most of these housings do not have a large enough opening in the spindle to accept the new axle.

One of the magazines did an article a few months back converting a D60 from 30 to 35 spline. A special tool was required to bore the spindle open large enough to fit the new axles. I don't mean to scare you away from a D60 I just wanted to warn you ahead of time. Do a little research on them before you buy.

FYI - stay away from a housing that has 61 cast into the webbing. These are most popular in vans (Ford &amp; Dodge), they are limited to higher ratios only (4.10, 3.54, 3.07, etc.).

12. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Rather than bore out the spindle to make the 35s fit you can take the ends off a 14 bolt since they use 1.5" shafts. Pretty cool hybrid axle. Popular setup over at por.

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

hmm...seems to be an interesting setup!

Anyone got a weight on a D60 rear axle? (if you don't know me, I'm all about saving weight if I don't need the added strength/capability)

I like the idea of better ground clearance and still FF...

I figured if my 10 bolt ever breaks, I'd go 14b, but the ground clearance with a 14bolt and 33" tires can't be good. Not that its good with the 10 bolts, but its better than a 14...

Now about finding one thats the right width and whether or not I can put 6 lug axles in it... : )

14. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

A guy we ran with this past weekend has a D60 rear with 44 boggers. Only problems he had were the spring perch welds let go on the trail. While ground clearance would be nice for the D60, the locker is a heck of a lot cheaper for the 14B. Not too mention spare parts are much more readily found for a 14B in the yards.

15. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Parts availability could certainly be a problem, but as little as I stress my truck, even the 10 bolt is probably going to be adequate, but if something silly like an axle breaks on me in the 10 bolt, stepping up to something better would make sense.

I know that for my application, a 14bolt or even the 60 is overkill, and as such, besides normal wear and tear, stepping up to either won't require me to buy any additional parts due to breakage. It just won't happen unless its a fluke.

I *do* like being able to get parts easily, but I have a feeling that probably wouldn't come up, except the initial setup...off to www.eaton.com to see if they make their posi for the 60 : )

As you can tell not real familiar with the FF axles, now that I think about it, axle lugs are irrelevent aren't they, since they odn't exist, right? Ahh, more research lol

16. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

PM 72THING.......he has put a Ford D60 into a 72 C10..yes, I mean "C". Anyhow, basically you have to move the spring perches...although you really should use some off of a chevy axle...the Ford perches are wider to match the Ford's wider springs. Relocate the shock mounts........use the ones off or your existing axle. Buy a bastard joint. The D60 probably has a 1330 yoke and you need to go to a 1310 (?) yoke. It is an easy swap and will hold up fine to 35's. Also, it is an easy axle to upgrade if you have to later.