Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 front caliper removal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dysphemism, Feb 17, 2002.

1. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

Hey guys I am still in the process of rebuilding my D60 front. I cannot for the life of me get either caliper off. It looks like I have to pry out the spring somehow, but I just cant. Its starting to really aggrevate me. Can someone please go into detail about how to remove the caliper. Also as important, is re-installation just reverse of removal?

1986 GMC Jimmy 6" springs 3" body, 38/15.5/15 Swampers, 14-bolt FF rear, Dana 60 front, 1991 front-end.

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I think we detailed it pretty good in your other post. It is not that hard, once the bolt is out just use a screwdriver and a hammer and push the metal piece out and the little spring should come with it. They are tight so you will need to tap it pretty good to get it started on comming out. Go try it and see what happens and then get back with us, you might have another problem if it is not comming out but I can't see any outside of it being rusted.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.
    <font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

3. dysphemism

ive been hitting at it for the last hour and not even a hint of budging. I just applied some WD40 to it so hopefully it will loosen up.

1986 GMC Jimmy 6" springs 3" body, 38/15.5/15 Swampers, 14-bolt FF rear, Dana 60 front, 1991 front-end.

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Are you hitting it from the side to get it to slide out? I can't see how it is that tight but not seeing it does not help the cause. Mine were tight when I got my 60 but they did come loose with some force.

See <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Waynes-Toy>Project Mighty Mouse</a> here.

5. dysphemism

ya im hitting them on the inside of the caliper trying to slide it out of the other side. The spring will slide but the I-beam wont. Should I flatten one side of the spring and slide that out first or try and drive out both the spring and I-beam at the same time?

6. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I just knocked the beam and then the spring if it did not come out with the beam. You do have the problem on both sides?

7. dysphemism

I was just trying the passenger side today. If I can find time I'll give the drivers side a try. Thanks again. If all else fails as a last resort I guess I could install the axle, grind the caliper, and take it to the local brake shop and let them at it. hehe it better not come to that.

8. dysphemism

ok i went to the local hardware store and bought the biggest single-handed hammer they had there. I took it home and beat that I-beam like there was no tommorrow and FINALLY it came off. Yay triumph for me. Now to get the rotors machined...

9. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Sorry for not getting back with you sooner but I got really sick. Glad to see you got it off.