Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 front rotor recommendations (Power Stop?)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Desert Rat, Apr 6, 2003.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Did a search and didn't find too many discussions on upgrading front rotors. Anybody try those Power Stop or other brands of slotted or cross drilled rotors? While I'm asking, how about calipers? I was just going to go with Cardone rebuilds. Unless there is a big difference...

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

you got 15" rims? i was thinking about replacing calipers, until i thought about having to grind those G'damn calipers again.

3. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

16's now, but not sure if I will stick with them. I got my 4Wheel & OffRoad magazine the other day and there on pg. 124 was an article on new aftermarket calipers by Stillen. I read the article and I'm happier than a pup with two peters. These new Statix calipers are better than stock and allow for 15" rims to boot. I jump on the net and go to http://www.statixbrakes.com/statix.asp just to find that 92 and up is pretty much the order of the day. Why can't these folks realize that some of us don't want those new fangled whiz bang gizmo trucks. So, I may be stuck with 16's in order to avoid doing the grind. The only thing that calmed my hissy fit was seeing an ad for the new Edelbrock Thunder Series AVS off road carb. When I get my crate motor, I suspect I'll go with it. So I got that going for me......which is nice.......

4. Silver84k5

i dont see why those wouldnt fit the old school 60s that we run, i hope somone can jump in on this, Cuz that would be sick as hell to get some new bad ass looking calipers and not have to grind.. Somone Throw us a bone here PLS!.....

5. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have power slot rotors on my 60 front...

[​IMG]

You can kinda see them in that pic. Anyway, I have been talking with ORU recently about the same rotors for a GM front since mine is a Ford and they said that Power Slot does not make a rotor for the GM 60 front. But, if you can get an order of 5 or more pairs together they will custom make them. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

so does the caliper come with the rotor? and does that fit a 15" rim?

7. willyswanter

No, that caliper is a stock Ford dual piston caliper. And just like a normal 60 it won't fit a 15" rim. But I suppose you could grind for a while and make it fit though...

8. Silver84k5

i would be worried about grinding that ford caliper, it doesnt look like there is gonna be much Rigidy (is that a word?) left.....

9. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Good luck getting that backing plate to match a GM D60 /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif. Its bolt patern is different.

10. willyswanter

What backing plate do I have to have match a GM60? I'm confused... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

11. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

Check out 4x4Iron! They have the Rototech's slotted & cross drilled. Got em on mine and they is the [censored]!

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

slotting and crossdrilling are purely cosmetic.
    the factory rotors are as good as it gets unless you go bigger diameter with hats and rotors seperate pieces.

13. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Yep,
    I carry Roto-Tech slotted and cross drilled. There make a world off difference in the stopping of the vehicle. I run them on my pull truck. It is a 98 K2500 and anybody that has them know thier brakes SUCK! I put the rotors on with Titanium Metallic pads, (dont know what makes them so much different from regular metallic pads other than they operate in a much higer temp range) and now I can easily stop when towing. Vail pass used to be white knuckle because the old front pads and rotors would fade so bad that by the bottom of the hill you could not stop if you had to. Now fade is gone and it is much more comfortable knowing you have brakes when you need them.