Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 gear strength question, urget

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mpascino, Nov 14, 2001.

1. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

I have a chance to get a power lock rebuilt for 200 bucks, if I buy it today. Only problem is , it is for 4.10 ratio and lower and I have 4.56's. I can use a ring gear spacer and make it work. Will this make the front end weaker? Will this throw the shiming of the carrier off in any way or will I be able to use the old shims with new bearings? Any help is most appricated.
    Thanks again,
    Mike

The jeep eater ......jeep it's what's for dinner[​IMG]

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

If the Power Lock is for a higher ratio carrier and you are able to make it work with a lower ratio carrier with just a ring gear spacer, that means that this Power Lock is a full-carrier differential and not a drop in like a Lock-Rite. That being the case, you need to do the same setup procedures with this swap as you do with a new ring and pinion set whether you move to a spacer or not.

I think that by reusing the same gearset, you should be able to get away with the same pinion depth and pinion bearing preload, but the shims on the sides of the carrier bearing need to be looked at again. And this would be with marking compound and all.

And if this is a drop-in differential, the ring gear spacer would still require you to do the same thing.

Someone else needs to jump in here, because I've never done what you're talking about myself.

<font color=green>There's nothing like the smell of a rich V-8 in the morning...</font color=green>

3. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

The power lock is a four pin posi carrier for the dana 60, Usually these can be installed with no change in shims. I was just wondering if the situation holds true for my situation. I mostly need to know if the stregnth will be weakened.
    Mike

4. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

My buddy has done that in the rear 60 in his Jeep and has had zero problems. In a heavy vehicle though....maybe in a front I would do it, but not in the rear for full time use.

ken

5. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

thanks for the insight..