Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 Hi Steer Questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dawson444, Sep 3, 2002.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I am looking at putting hi steer on my Dana 60. I was looking at pics on here. Why did Steve use different ends from here.[​IMG]
    to here?
    [​IMG]
    Anyone have any ideas on going with the hi steer? I am going to run Avalanch arms and the MOO crossmember. Do I need one of the spacer blocks avalanch sells or will everything clear? Anything else? Thanks!

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Dawson, my oponion is don't even mess with the hysteer. I would just do crossover and get a Rockrod tierod and be done.

3. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

You dont need the blocks they will actually hurt your clearance. Unless you abuse it in the rocks alot the Hi-steer is hard to justify. I have it on mine using the hiem joint ends. The places that I go I need the tie rod out of the way, but with the pitman arm right there you end up with your tie rod only 5" off the center line of the king pin instead of 8" which is stock. It will contribute to death wobble because of this. If I had to drive mine on the street much Hi-steer would not be an option. Steve used drag link ends on his is why they look so different. I believe they are slightly larger than regular tie rod ends.

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the pitman arm he used is from a ford application and uses a smaller tapered hole.
    so rather then retaper he used a tie rod sourced joint that fits

5. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Actually, I had the pitman arm retapered (larger hole) so I could use the larger K30 draglink ends, all four ends are the same right hand thread, just need to carry one spare that way.
    I also agree that for normal wheeling you really don't need the hi-steer setup.

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

so has he just mixed images from different timeperiods?

7. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Yeah, that top pic was from a while ago.