Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 housing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cybrfire, Feb 23, 2003.

1. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I am considering buying an empty housing for a Dana 60 front. Was just curious if you guys think I would end up with way more invested in the housing than a complete 60 costs? The guy is asking for 50 bucks for the housing the guy says he has the carrier and 4.10 gears that came with it but they have some rust. I was thinking an advantage would be I don't have to lay out the 1000 plus that a complete Dana 60 averages all in one shot. What are your thoughts.

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

$50 isn't bad. You need to make sure it has the carrier caps and the C's at the end of the axle tubes. Is it doesn't have those, it is junk and pass on it even if it's free.
    If it has them, then make sure the pumpkin is on the correct side for you. Also measure spring perch width.
    If all that is OK too, then it looks like a winner.

The benefit to buying a bare housing is that if you want to rebuild the axle anyway, then this is an economical way to go since you don't buy all the junk you'd later throw out.

I assume you have looked into how much things cost for it right?
    Check out ebay for knuckles and SRW spindles. You'll also need the brake caliper mounting bracket (not really a bracket since it's solid cast iron, but you know what I mean), complete kinpin parts, steering arms, axleshafts, carrier, gears, hubs, wheel bearings, axleshaft seals, carrier seals, spindle nut set, diff cover.

The list goes on and on BUT if you plan on 35 spline, detroit or ARB, replacing WB and kingpin junk anyway, then again it is a good deal.
    -- Mike

3. cybrfire

By C's you are referring to what the knuckle attaches too? Those are there. Thanks for bringing up the carrier caps. Forgot about those. ON the spring perch width, Was a one ton front the correct width. I khow the rear is narrower but not sure on the front?

4. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Someone has bought the GM tooling to make the hubs, and has started to manufacture them (it's in BillaVista's article on the D60, but the page isn't loading) and sell them brand new for $165. That's a steal on NEW SRW hubs. I'll find out who it is and post up.

5. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

The front width on a K-30 is the same as your 1/2 & 3/4 ton .
    If you are saying that that front end has the knuckles that the spindle and caliper brackets mount to than that is a HELL-UV-A DEAL !!!!! GET IT !!!
    He was talking about the "C's" that are on the end of each axle tube. If you have the part that bolts on to those "C's" ( 4 bolts on top and 4 bolts on bottom -each side )than that is more than a basic housing.
    Sounds like a great deal !!!
    Tom

6. cybrfire

nope, not the parts that bolt on to the c's just the c's themselves. welded right on the axle tubes...

7. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Yes, the C-shaped 'thing' welded right on the end of the axletube is the C that you need.
    Sounds good.
    I don't know the width of the spring perches, but I can tell you that the Dodge ones are about 1" wider, so if someone here will list the width of thier front axle spring perches (10 bolt, 44, or 60 all the same) you can figure it out.
    I would suggest looking at the bill of materials (BOM) number. It is stamped on the long side tube. With this number, you can find out exactly what year and make the housing was used in.
    -- Mike

8. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

I think most are 32in,Dodge may be32 1/2,later Fords are 36.This is out of my head so it could be a little off.Pretty sure the one I put under mine is 32. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. cybrfire

Just wanted to say thanks to everybody for the info. If he has the caps for the carrier I will buy...

10. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

$50 is a steal. With the bearing caps and 4:10's even...
    I'll buy it from you for 3X that. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Measure it so you can tell if its a Chevy or Dodge.

Make sure it's got the bearing caps with the housing!
    CHECK THE C KNUCKLES!
    If I were you i'd bring a straight edge and lay it across the bottom of the knuckle to make sure they aren't bent. Check where the race is pressed into the bottom of the C knuckle and see if the race is cracked and if the knuckle itself is Ovaled out. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

11. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I can tell you that the Dodge ones are about 1" wider

[/ QUOTE ]

the dodge is a 1/2" wider, springs need to be pushed out 1/4 inch on each side, you can do some Spring bushing Mods, and itll bolt right in like a Chev would.

12. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Someone has bought the GM tooling to make the hubs, and has started to manufacture them (it's in BillaVista's article on the D60, but the page isn't loading) and sell them brand new for $165. That's a steal on NEW SRW hubs. I'll find out who it is and post up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Six states from Utah. Six States' Web Site