Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 IFS and IRS - The ultimate rock buggy axles?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by HarryH3, May 2, 2003.

1. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Check out Walker Evans' new rock buggy, Rock Spider. It's in the latest issue of 4Wheel & Off-Road Magazine. It's sporting DUAL independent Dynatrac Dana 60 axles, with half shafts that appear to be made of unobtainium. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif The CV joints in the shafts are capable of running at a 40 degree angle. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Ground clearance at the center of the buggy is an impressive 19 and 1/4 inches, sitting on 40-inch Goodyear MTR's. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Check it out at: http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/featuredvehicles/131_WEB_WALK/

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

that thing is nuts. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I want to see it in action now.

3. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Way cool! What issue of the Mag. is it? June?

4. HarryH3

Yep, June 2003. My copy just hit the mailbox Wednesday. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif That rig blew my mind! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

19"? Don Henry's Chevy in this years TTC has 20-something (26"?) inchs of clearence at the diff.

'Mog axles & 49.5" tires

6. HarryH3

But it probably weighs in at around 2.5 times the weight of this rig. It was designed specifically for rock crawling competetions. It's lightweight and has a low center of gravity. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif It will drive right though stuff that would have a 'mog axled rig laying on its side. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

bah. it's crawl ratio is 44:1 it *might* crawl curbs /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. HarryH3

So keep an eye on it during competition and watch Walker show ya that insane crawl ratios (or even a big engine!) aren't required to win in that stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    So keep an eye on it during competition and watch Walker show ya that insane crawl ratios (or even a big engine!) aren't required to win in that stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

you aren't on his payroll are you? /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i agree with harry, walker is an amazing driver and i bet he could do some amazing things with that rig. very cool stuff!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. HarryH3

[ QUOTE ]
    you aren't on his payroll are you?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I wish! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I just know that Walker has been driving 4WD's since about the time that you were born. You can bet your last dollar that a LOT of knowledge, science, and technology went into that rig before the first weld was sparked. Walker and his boys know what works. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

12. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I believe he got 32nd in the first compitition in that rig. The belly is too low, a complete lack of power and a huge turning radius were blamed. I'm sure a lack of seat time was part of it as it has to handle much differently than his old rig. As far as weight...his spotter (who would know better?) said it was much heavier than the last rig.

13. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Very cool !

The thing I like most about this sport is the fact that everyday - there is something "new" and interesting, or in the least, a new way of doing something "old". It's growing - quick ! And we're there to see it happen, first hand.
    Like the first guy to hot-rod a flat-head Ford, or the first guy to run a rear-engine dragster - this is cutting edge for "our time". It's amazeing how fast it's takein' off!

K - enough of that. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

What (other than the obvious) do you all think Walker and crew are trying to accomplish with this IFS/IRS buggy ?
    Whats the advantages/disadvantages of it ?

Walkers rig, Front.

Walkers rig, under body, rear.

( Not tring to swipe a thread here, just talkin' shop. And Harry, you know as well as I do. A post has to be in the form of question, like CK5 Jeopardy ! )

14. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Advantages:
    - Tires remain flat no matter where they are in their cycle of travel
    - More clearance under axle

Disadvantages:
    - Lots of parts to break/bend
    - $$$
    - No articulation (hence 'independent')

I'm sure theres more. Those are just off the top of my head. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

15. HarryH3

The biggest advantage is the cool factor! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The biggest disadvantage is that each one of those axles exceeds the total dollar amount that I have in my whole truck! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

16. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

I saw that thing before the mags came out with it and I was a bit surpised by it. It was here at the CalRocs competition a month or so ago. It sits really high and looks a bit odd, but its definetly an awesome rig. Another rig that really impressed me (as well as the driver) was the BFG Karnivore, they were one of I think 3 competitors to make it up a specific obstacle that day.

17. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if one was ever gonna run ifs/irs... that'd be the way to do it. too bad setups like that cost a quadrillion dollars. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

j

18. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

just looks like tubing and welding time, where is the $$