Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 inner axle seals

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pomai, Feb 28, 2005.

1. pomai

pomai 1/2 ton status Premium Member

When I removed the ring gear to replace the inner axle seals, there was a large, approx 3" O ring sandwitched between each differential bearing race and the housing. Was that suposed to be there. I can't find any information about these O rings. The axle seals don't come with them.
    Dose anybody know anthing about these O rings. Thanks Ed

2. bluejeep

bluejeep 1/2 ton status

It's not an O-ring, it's silicone from when the axle was made. They silicone the tubes before they press them into the housing.

3. Larry_in_Tx

Larry_in_Tx 1/2 ton status

Not a big shocker coming from me but I have no clue. I pulled my carrier out the other day and didn’t see anything like that. Anybody else…:dunno:

Never mind, late as usual :blush:

4. pomai

pomai 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Do I need to re seal it with silicone again? Thanks

5. short sub

short sub Registered Member

hey man- my 60 didnt have any oring type substance around the diff. carrier seals. I agree that it was more then likely just silicone and yes when installing metal seals i always apply a thin layer of silicone around the outer seal to be pressed in EXCEPT on an automatic tranny seal the silicone cane get inside a tranny somehow someway. just put a little on rub it around the seals o.d.
    lata ryan.

6. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

go down to the chevy dealership and order the d60 inner carrier seals (2 of them).
    you can probably find the part number over on the pirate4x4 dana 60 bible..
    The cheap replacement ones are plastic, the good ones from the dealership have a metal support for when you remove/install the axle shafts keeps the seal from getting destroyed.
    I pulled mine out with a screwdriver, and tapped the new ones in with a mallet and a 2x4 or a big socket to drive the seal in. :thumb: