Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 Inner/Outer Shaft U-Joints: Are they replaceable? If so, stock #'s???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MuddinManny, Dec 21, 2006.

1. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Hey Y'all,

Since I have to rebuild my kingpins on my D60, I am wanting to do a thorough job. I do not have the cash to put Bobby Long's Chromolies in right now, so I was thinking/wanting to replace the knuckle inner/outer shaft u-joints. All search information shows the shaft as one piece, and the extensive article(s) at www.pirate4x4.com only show the item (55) as one piece. So my question is:

1. Can you purchase replacement knuckle u-joints?
    2. If so, what do you recommend?
    3. Can you supply a link to reputable vendor or supply a stock/part #

Please help. I have no Dana 60 experience and the search history on this partucular item is so extensive, it would take eternity to pin point this exact information.

Thanks!

Manny

2. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Straight from the Dana 60 Bible.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]New Cold Forged joint (Spicer calls these the “Spicer Life Series” ) [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Greasable: Spicer SPL55-4x also called 5-733x [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Permanently Sealed: SPL55-3x, also called 5-806-x
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ira
    [/FONT]

3. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

:bow: Okay, great! Next question:

1. Are permanently sealed better than greasable?
    2. Where can I get these puppies?

I owe you a case of beer. Where do I send it?

Manny

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I have sealed in mine no proof but I feel non-greasable are a tad bit stronger as the cross is not hollow like the greasable ones.

Ira

5. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

x2 what he said

6. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Roger that!

I'm ordering sealed units as we speak. The guy who acid dipped my 14 Bolt hubs is going to dip my knuckles and the yokes on the axle shafts. I'm gonna get them nice and clean, build them tough and have a rock solid D60. Wasn't expecting this, but I believe that the Good L-rd above is watching over me and knew something I didn't. He makes ways for me always! So I'm praisin' and singin' :bow:

Thanks again for everything! I really do appreciate my CK5.com Family!

Manny

7. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You have already ordeered them but I will still put in my .02.

For your application I would strongly think about a greasable u joint. IMO the non greasables will leak muddy water into the cross with time and then rust a damage the joint beyond repair and cause it to be weak. The greasables are at least a known quantity and you can grease them after every trip to purge any water and crap that got in them.

I have run both the greasable and non greasables in the buggy. With normal use I have not had a problem. I have broken 1 non greasable but I did a couple of things to it that were not "normal" wheeling type stuff.

8. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

You know, I thought about it a lil' after I ordered them. Since it is my intention some time next year to upgrade to Bobby Long's sealed chromolies which are sealed, I opted to go with the Spicer sealed units. If delay happens, I'm gonna get a set of greasable back ups.

Thanks for your .02. It's worth a million to me! :waytogo:

Manny

9. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Also one thing that you need to do when you get them is tack the caps to the axle shafts. I believe that about 75% of breakage of shafts is caused from the ears stretching a little then it spits a cap, after that it just breaks the joint and the axle ears.

10. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Seriously???

Wouldn't tack welding the u-joints damage the yoke ears by weakening them? I'm not doubting you, it's just I never heard this before. I appreciate the tip. I would have never known that. Tack welding won't hurt the u-joint any will it? What happens if the u-joint fails with the cap welded?

Sorry for the stupid noob questions, but this is the first u-jointed axle with inner/outters I've ever had. No experience whatsoever.

Merry Christmas!

Manny

11. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Also, with tack welding - wouldn't the grease boil out?

12. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

On mine I ran 2 welds about 3/8" long, basically just 2 tacks next to each other.
    I did this on either side of the cap.
    No you not putting enough heat in it to affect the strength or to boil the grease out.