Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 inner seal replacement

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BrentNClemson, Oct 29, 2002.

1. BrentNClemson

BrentNClemson Registered Member

If anyone could give me some detailed instructions on replacing the inner seal and putting new gear oil in a Dana 60 front axle I would really appreciate it. It was submerged in water for a few hours and greyish oil/grease and water is oozing out of the passenger side steering knuckle. I'm new to 4x4's but I like to fix things on my own and I was told this was probably the problem. So if anyone has any info that would be great. Thanks!
    -Brent Nelson

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Well, you have to pull the cover, take out the diff carrier, then yank the seal from the inside and replace it with a new one. Sounds easy, but they're kind of a bitch to do... For more detail I'd recommend getting a good manual. Good luck!

A link to the page in the Dana manual that shows one small section on replacing the seal - http://coloradok5.com/dana60man/page39.jpg

3. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Dont forget you have to pull the outers apart and pull the axles.

Mike

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The entire axle has to come apart to get to those 2 seals. You have to pull the wheels, hubs, rotors, spindles and axles off of both sides. Then you can finally remove the carrier. At this point you have just the axle housing and steering knuckles still attached to the truck. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif You'll need a long pipe to feed through the housing and press in the new seals. It has to be thin enough to fit through the seal on the opposite side, then fit it against a round plate of steel or aluminum that's the right size to push the seal into it's bore squarely. Then just tap on the end off the pipe lightly while someone holds the pipe and round plate in position over the seal. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I didn't have any problem driving the new seals in from inside the carrier without the long rod. I did have a problem putting the new seals in though. I didn't realize the "ramp" that guides the axle into the seal was actually part of the seal. I pulled the old seals and the ramps stayed in place. Then the new seals wouldn't go in. I pulled out the calipers and realized the hole wasn't large enough for the seal to fit. Then I realized the ramps pulled out also. I pulled them and the new seals went right in.

Does anyone sell the factory style seals with the ramps?

Mike

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Well yeah, the shafts have to be pulled to get the carrier out, but iI figured that was understood. Whoopsie! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif</font color>