Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Dana 60 inner seals

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pomai, Apr 21, 2005.

1. pomai

pomai 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The 2 inner axel seals on the dana 60 are different, right?

Napa can't find the driver side inner axle seal. they say both sides should be the same, but I know there not. The only number they come up with is the one for the short axle side (passenger side). Could someone help me with the part number # for the driver side (long axle side).

Thanks Ed

2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

They're the same.

3. pomai

but when I took them out they were 2 different seals. The one on the passenger side had a medal lip, for the axle to slip on in. the driver side did not have this lip. And the seal that I got fits the passenger side but will not fit the driver.

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I know that the seal brand can dictate if there is a "guide" sticking out of the seal. I've seen 3 versions of the diff seal - just a bare seal, seal with a tight rubber boot sticking out (presumably to wipe the shaft and help prevent contaminants from entering the housing) and an OE seal with the metal bell shaped guide to help direct the shaft into the hole.

I can see it having different versions of the seal from previous repairs but I've never seen a housing that had different diameter seals from side to side.

5. pomai

I can see it having different versions of the seal from previous repairs but I've never seen a housing that had different diameter seals from side to side.[/QUOTE]

Your right!, you made me check again & again & again. Then I checked for diameter differance of the 2 sides and discovered that the guide part of the old seal was still in there, and thats why it looked different when I took the old one out. Thanks very much. Ed

Any tips on installing the new ones.